News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Recent posts

China, Taiwan / Re: Kansu 20 cash Y-C407 warlo...
Last post by Figleaf - Today at 10:14:05 AM
This one takes a real expert and those are rarer than the coins. Most experts around today concentrate on cash coins.

Note that on Numista, the reference is to Kann, whose books date from 1954, so at least it's not a fantasy, as China was at that time not yet producing the unspeakable mass of fantasies and fakes it is making today. The Numista id seems good enough and is likely to be better than KM.

The question remains if it is a fake or not. The only answer I can think of is the answer to life the universe and everything: 42. ;)

Peter
Quote from: capnbirdseye on May 17, 2024, 09:58:31 AMNice coin,and as you say it's hard to find one with a full margin legend, here is one of mine which is an unlisted type with only the date in the margin.

The legend is same "Al-imam al-azam khalifath allah fi al-alamin" in obv and "al-mustakfi bi-allah amir al-mu'minin" on rev. Margin reads "sal bar hefshad chehl wa seh" 743 ... al-mu'minin is arranged differently on this coin also.

It's unusual not to bear the name of the mint if it's an official issue, it's been suggested it could have been struck at a camp mint.

Billon with a high silver content, 9.02g
Capnbirdseye : Thank you for your appreciation. I believe that your specimen might have been minted somewhere in Camp Mint. This coinage was minted impulsively to commemorate the remarkable incident of Granting Authority and blessings to Tughluq Sultan by Abbasid Caliph Al-Mustakhif Billah, Amir Al-Momimin to ruled over Indian peninsula as the subdue of Abbasid Caliph titular.

Sent from my CPH2505 using Tapatalk
Unidentified coins / Re: Another Help to identify ...
Last post by alexcoins - Today at 08:24:46 AM
Thanks ...the best!!!!!
Islamic world / Re: Need help identifying Silv...
Last post by kimo - Today at 08:16:35 AM
Hi Peter

I am really thrilled to become part of the A-team, it is a honor  :)
I just took your advise in how to search Zeno, so thanks for that, and thanks for explaining how that pillow shape came about on these coins,I was wondering about that

also I want thank THCoins and aws22 for their help

I am happy to be part of this community  :thankyou:
Islamic world / Re: Need help identifying Silv...
Last post by Figleaf - May 17, 2024, 11:07:29 PM
Hey Kimo, you have just been promoted from client of the A-team to part of the A-team 8) and I have never seen that happen so quickly. Are you sure you're not AI software? ;D

Just a word on the shape of the flan. What happened is that the metal was rolled into a sausage-like shape. However, it was just a tad too cool. As a result, the metal roll looked a bit squarish. The minters sliced off the flans like you'd do with a salami. That's how the pillow shape came about. You'll get relatively dumpy flans with this method, but it's efficient enough to be still in use centuries later.

Peter
Unidentified coins / Re: another difficult ancient ...
Last post by THCoins - May 17, 2024, 09:57:23 PM
Interesting ! Great expose, thanks JMP !
Unidentified coins / Re: Another Help to identify ...
Last post by JMP - May 17, 2024, 09:54:29 PM
Sorry Sandro, after all I think the CONSTANTIUS is the right coin.
At first sight, I thought I could read "TANS" on your coin, but comparing now with the two specimen above, I realise it must be "TIUS" what one can read as remaining letters on the obverse.
Errare humanum est, especially when we talk Roman coins  ::) !
Coin characteristics / Re: Pictorial coin designs wit...
Last post by <k> - May 17, 2024, 09:35:07 PM

Latvia, 2 lati, 1992.

Latvia, 2 lati, 1999.
Last post by JMP - May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
Good so far!
But what about the numerals ? The 50 ? The 20, 20, 10 ? Where to find thém ?
Certainly not in the Punic alphabet, as the www tells us in the overview here above.

Maybe on Ibiza they used Punic letters and Phoenician numerals ?
Bingo! That was it:
Last post by JMP - May 17, 2024, 08:13:25 PM
ON THE COIN ITSELF:

Of course, when I mentioned here that the legend on the pieces reverse was 'IBSHM and 50 it was copy/paste info from other numismatic sites which had such a coin for sale.

But the script was tantalising me and I had to know for sure if that info is correct.

So, to start with: which script do we see on the coin?
Certainly not the Phoenician: 𐤀𐤉𐤁𐤔𐤌, ʾybšm of the Wikipedia text here above.

And Punic was a monumental script. But Neo-Punic was a cursive script and our coin was struck during the period this script was in use. So, let's verify:

Neo-Punic gives us cleanly ' Y B SH M (= Ibiza) as result, starting with the mute letter ':