News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Commemorative coins for 2019

Started by eurocoin, May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

It won't be all post offices that have these though....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

The Crown Post Offices that will be selling the 50 years of the 50p sets expect to receive them next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on January 19, 2019, 02:23:25 PM
The Crown Post Offices that will be selling the 50 years of the 50p sets expect to receive them next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Is there a list of branches available, or is it a treasure hunt?

andyg

Quote from: Deeman on January 19, 2019, 07:28:09 PM
Is there a list of branches available, or is it a treasure hunt?

Treasure hunt.   ;D
Just kidding,
there is a search function on the branch finder here;
Branch Finder | Post Office
Click "refine branch services" select "Collectibles" and it should bring up a list of branches which stock them.  HOWEVER.... The staff at the Derby branch were neither use nor ornament when I asked.

Deeman

I don't think that gives the branches that will sell the coin set. The search gives you offices in a selected area, but I don't think all will sell the coins. There are over 300 crown offices in the UK, and with a limited edition I can't see all offices having coins to sell.

andyg

I don't know of another way.
The Royal Mint | Post Office

You could always send them an email....

eurocoin

I think your best bet would be to just visit 1 or 2 branches near you that sell Royal Mint collectibles (see the handy link provided by andyg) to ask for these sets. There does not exist an overview of Crown Post Offices that will sell this specific set.

Deeman

Is the limited edition of 3,500 for the first 5-coin 50th anniversary set, as stated on the RM site, the final total including the sets to go on sale at the POs or just the quantity for sales direct from RM?

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on January 20, 2019, 09:46:06 AM
Is the limited edition of 3,500 for the first 5-coin 50th anniversary set, as stated on the RM site, the final total including the sets to go on sale at the POs or just the quantity for sales direct from RM?

3,500 is the final total of the copper-nickel proof sets.

Deeman

Thanks eurocoin.
So I guess that with such a low quantity remaining after the RM sales, finding a PO that sells the set will be very hit & miss.

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on January 20, 2019, 10:17:29 AM
Thanks eurocoin.
So I guess that with such a low quantity remaining after the RM sales, finding a PO that sells the set will be very hit & miss.

That of course depends on how many of these sets the Royal Mint itself has sold. Both some of the Crown Post offices as well as the Royal Mint's official distributors will sell these too.

Deeman

A selection of RM products are available at a number of Post Office branches given on the following site:

royalmint.com/aboutus/stockists/

As the PO is a separate company from Royal Mint, I wonder what retailer rate they will charge?

Big_M

Some good marketing on the 50p set. 10 years ago they only managed to sell 1,039 copper-nickel 50p 40th anniversary sets, which was, surprisingly, even fewer than the silver sets (1,163).

2009 Dated UK Commemorative Coin Sales | The Royal Mint

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on January 20, 2019, 11:27:26 AM
A selection of RM products are available at a number of Post Office branches given on the following site:

royalmint.com/aboutus/stockists/

I believe that page to be outdated, inaccurate and incomplete.

QuoteAs the PO is a separate company from Royal Mint, I wonder what retailer rate they will charge?

95% of the times the exact same price as the Royal Mint asks for it.

augsburger

Their marketing was awful back then. When the Olympic 50ps came out, it was as if no one cared. Now all these people who claim to be hard core "collectors" are getting angry because they couldn't get this set.

The Mint's facebook page has been getting a hammering. They didn't send out the notification for those who had signed up, and had only intended on doing it 20 minutes before you could buy, and lots of people who bought them, found they didn't get them anyway.

Quite a few people basically saying the more you buy from the mint, the more chance you've got of getting stuff like this.