News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Commemorative coins for 2019

Started by eurocoin, May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Quote from: Big_M on January 21, 2019, 09:04:53 AM
Some good marketing on the 50p set.

Not really surprising, the collecting world has changed so much since 2009. And although the 50 years of the 50p sets sold well, I think they could have easily sold 10,000 of them. They have completely underestimated the demand for it while they could have foreseen this if they would have actively monitored collectors groups. 1 week prior to the official launch hundreds of collectors stayed awake until well after midnight after a rumour had spread claiming the sets would be available at midnight.

augsburger

They'll make more money by selling only 3,500 though. It's about creating the environment, which is essentially having people going crazy that they missed out on something. So they'll buy lots more in the future, just in case....

eurocoin

Just to put the craze into perspective. The 50 years of the 50p sets were Trending #2 on eBay, just behind skijackets..  :o

andyg

I don't understand ebay "trending"
number one just now is Ace combat 7 with 685 searches,
number eight is ski jackets with 25,808 and
number nine the 50p with 4,829.
So quite how the work the order out I don't know.

Here is the link,
Trending on eBay UK
It may well bring different results for different people depending on which cookies they have on their computer for all I know.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

With 1 week delay, the post offices that will be selling the 50 years of the 50p sets have now finally received them.

eurocoin

Near Christmas a commemorative 50p coin will be issued featuring (amongst other things) the snowdog from the book James and the Snowman.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on February 01, 2019, 08:41:52 PM
Near Christmas a commemorative 50p coin will be issued featuring (amongst other things) the snowdog from the book James and the Snowman.

Surprise, surprise!!!! Thank you Anne 'Cilla' Jessopp.

Now we are celebrating 7th anniversaries!

Alan71

Quote from: Deeman on February 02, 2019, 08:48:00 AM
Now we are celebrating 7th anniversaries!
I think it's more to think of something for a Christmas coin than to mark any kind of anniversary.  At least the Mint still has some form of quality control - no boring Santa (as Gibraltar does).

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 29, 2019, 09:09:58 PM
With 1 week delay, the post offices that will be selling the 50 years of the 50p sets have now finally received them.
I wonder if many were successful at getting one?  I did think of walking to the main post office in Derby (which is still separate - not within WHSmith) but didn't as I thought they'd either have sold out or never had them.  Plus for the first time I really wasn't that bothered.  I haven't even got a 2019 year set yet.

eurocoin

The Gruffalo 50p will be released February 19.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint will this year issue a commemorative 50p coin to honour the life and work of Stephen Hawking. The coin will depict a stylized depiction of a black hole as well as the entropy equation.

Figleaf

A worthy subject, but why did he beat Alan Turing and Tim Berners-Lee?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Quote from: Figleaf on February 15, 2019, 06:01:49 PM
A worthy subject, but why did het beat Alan Turing and Tim Berners-Lee?

Peter

I am sure that they too will be commemorated on coins at some point in the future.

-

There will also be piedfort sets in silver and gold of the 50 years of the 50p sets.

Figleaf

Quote from: eurocoin on February 15, 2019, 07:48:38 PM
I am sure that they too will be commemorated on coins at some point in the future.

Berners-Lee (BTW, a recipient of the Turing prize!) is understandable. He's still alive (but wasn't Churchill alive too when his commemorative was issued?), but Turing is very close to scandalous. The only reason to overlook him is his homosexuality, but if that is the reason, the government has learned nothing since they drove Turing to suicide exactly for his homosexuality, while they have issued an apology for their behaviour, making you wonder just how sincere that apology was.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Although the company that owns all rights related to Beatrix Potter's work guaranteed me last year that there were not going to be any further Beatrix Potter 50p coins, there will in fact be 4 further Beatrix Potter 50p coins this year.