News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Commemorative coins for 2019

Started by eurocoin, May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augsburger

Quote from: FosseWay on March 11, 2019, 07:56:14 AM
Diana's is exceptional also in being issued a full two years after her death (which may be why it features in the sets where the others don't). At the time I thought it was strange - not so much that they issued a coin for her, but that it was issued so long after. The RM obviously had more preparation time for the Queen Mother but that coin was issued in the same year she died, as was Churchill's.

Well, with Diana it was because the Queen simply didn't want such a coin to be produced. A coin was designed and the queen was like, "I don't like this or that, get rid of it" and probably trying to delay it as much as possible.

Alan71

I think the Diana coin was issued because it was suggested by members of the public as part of the memorial plans.  And probably Tony Blair's government had some influence.  In 1998, Prince Charles's 50th birthday was commemorated on a £5 coin in the sets, and might have jarred a bit with a Diana one in the same year...

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on March 09, 2019, 11:06:17 AM
The Peter Rabbit 50p coin will be released at the end of this month.

Do we know if it is a new design or a re-issued design dated 2019?

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on March 11, 2019, 12:15:04 PM
Do we know if it is a new design or a re-issued design dated 2019?

New design.

eurocoin

A closer look at the Stephen Hawking 50p coin. Apparently in contrary to the previous image it is not supposed to have the point at the bottom.

Pabitra

To me it appears that it should be tilted 25 degrees anti clockwise and should be considered with point at bottom, then only the equation will be perfectly horizontal.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on March 11, 2019, 02:22:24 PM
A closer look at the Stephen Hawking 50p coin. Apparently in contrary to the previous image it is not supposed to have the point at the bottom.

Does the RM have a rational explanation for the orientation of the design? Clearly the majority would view the coin with the point at the bottom.

Alan71

Is it supposed to be a black hole then?

I'm kind of glad the orientation is the standard one.  In my view the Dent design should have been - I'm sure it would have looked fine that way.

Alan71

Apparently this Stephen Hawking coin is the first in a series:

"Excitingly, this is the first time Stephen Hawking has been represented on a British coinage and is the start of a brand new Royal Mint series celebrating Innovators in Science."

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on March 12, 2019, 08:14:52 AM
Apparently this Stephen Hawking coin is the first in a series:

"Excitingly, this is the first time Stephen Hawking has been represented on a British coinage and is the start of a brand new Royal Mint series celebrating Innovators in Science."

Yes, based on the image of the BU pack I already thought something like that. I think one of the other coins in the series will be a 2019-dated Newton 50p coin. A shame that the coin will not be released into general circulation. It was designed by Edwina Ellis.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on October 29, 2018, 06:19:18 PM
HM Treasury has just unveiled the design of the Brexit 50p coin that will be issued in the Spring of next year. It looks horrible.

Just wondering what might happen to this coin if, as now seems likely, Brexit is delayed?  With all the political uncertainty, would the coin have actually gone into production yet?  If it has, I imagine that, should the delay be confirmed on Thursday, any produced so far might have to be melted down save for a few examples retained by the Royal Mint?

Figleaf

I am sure the EU would agree with this slogan, though it would differ on what it means in practice.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Deeman

Someone at RM needs to improve their maths skill.

Reading the BU pack for Stephen Hawking as posted on the RM site, it states that he served as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University for 40 years between 1979 & 2009 when he reached the retiring age of 67yrs for the post. I make that 30 years.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on March 12, 2019, 07:38:10 PM
I am sure the EU would agree with this slogan, though it would differ on what it means in practice.

The slogan is OK, but who knows what will happen to the date ...

And yes, Deeman, 2009-1979 is 30, not 40. :)

Christian

Alan71

You would hope that that's an earlier version of the pack used for illustration purposes by the Royal Mint, and that the mistake was picked up on before production started.  I somehow doubt that.  In the age of fake news, fake maths somehow seems appropriate.