UK Commemorative coins for 2019

Started by eurocoin, May 30, 2018, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaziright

It's a very meaningless message indeed. What exactly does it convey? Not that the current situation is a great story in general. " Celebrating british Independence" is probably a tad much; Maybe they could have said something like "not lovers, just good friends" or "honey I like you, but can be have a pillow between us? I don't like to spoon". Admittently the second one is long winded for a coin

milkshakespeare

It is not impossible to make a text-only design look good. This one however is a disappointment. I can't help but to think that the artist didn't really appreciate the subject.

Pabitra

Text only designs are becoming increasingly regular in UK.
There could be many reasons but I think the work involved in organising a competition and selecting the best is so time consuming that it is preferred to skip that and issue in-house designs.

Deeman

You have to admire the British humour.

Figleaf

I do! Can we have those at least in chocolate? :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

In 2019 the Royal Mint will reissue a number of previously issued commemorative 50p coins. The new coins will be dated 2019.

The following coins will be reissued:

Britannia (standard), Kew Gardens, Battle of Britain, D-Day, Victoria Cross (2), Battle of Hastings, Roger Bannister (4 minute mile), Scouting, Girlguiding.

eurocoin

There will also be a commemorative 50p for the 20th anniversary of the publication of the book the Gruffalo. The coin will feature the Gruffalo.

Col1n666

I think I'm going to have to give up coin collecting! What is the reason for rereleasing these 50p's??!

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on November 09, 2018, 02:42:05 PM
In 2019 the Royal Mint will reissue a number of previously issued commemorative 50p coins. The new coins will be dated 2019.

Britannia (standard), Kew Gardens, Battle of Britain, D-Day, Victoria Cross (2), Battle of Hastings, Roger Bannister (4 minute mile), Scouting, Girlguiding.

Slight reduction when compared to the issue for the 40th anniversary of the introduction of the 50p coin in 2009. These were:
Britannia fifty new pence (1969), EEC (1973), Britannia (1982), European Presidency (1992), D-Day 50th anniversary (1994), 25th anniversary of joining EEC (1998), NHS (1998), Public Libraries Act (2000), Suffragettes (2003), Four-minute mile (2004), English dictionary (2005), Victoria Cross (2006), Heroic acts (2006), Scouts (2007), Picture-puzzle shield (2008), Kew Gardens (2009).

Hope a BU set will be available, whereas in 2009 it was a 16-coin silver proof set.

Figleaf

Quote from: Col1n666 on November 09, 2018, 03:09:55 PM
I think I'm going to have to give up coin collecting! What is the reason for rereleasing these 50p's??!

For the money you spend on new UK issues, you can afford very interesting pre-decimal UK coins, so many third century Romans you'll quake or a load of great fun Georgian British Commonwealth coins, to give only a few examples.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on November 09, 2018, 03:00:09 PM
There will also be a commemorative 50p for the 20th anniversary of the publication of the book the Gruffalo. The coin will feature the Gruffalo.

Surely the design will include the leading character - the wee, sleekit, tim'rous beastie!

Alan71

Quote from: Deeman on November 09, 2018, 03:54:56 PM
Hope a BU set will be available, whereas in 2009 it was a 16-coin silver proof set.
There was a base metal proof set in 2009 too, same 16 coins.  That's the version I have.  Issue price was £195, but that was before the Royal Mint's steep hyke in prices.

The 2019 set is an odd selection of coins.  Guessing the Britannia version will be the 1982-onwards variant and not the original, so it only leaves the D-Day one from the days of the larger 50p.

Bimat

Quote from: eurocoin on November 09, 2018, 02:42:05 PM

This is bad, bad practice. Indian mints tried doing that but it was criticized by many.

Since the British coins will be having a new dates, you can't even call them re-strikes! (Indian mints issued proof sets with original issue year)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

I am in the other corner. This will help type collectors. The Kew garden thingy is a very good example. It was hyped to boredom when the UK mint declared it scarce and fakes showed up. With a re-issue, at least a degree of normalcy is restored. Collectors profit, the get-rich-quickly crowd is punished. That appeals to my sense of justice. ;)

Peter

Alan71

Quote from: Figleaf on November 10, 2018, 08:08:15 AM
I am in the other corner. This will help type collectors. The Kew garden thingy is a very good example. It was hyped to boredom when the UK mint declared it scarce and fakes showed up. With a re-issue, at least a degree of normalcy is restored. Collectors profit, the get-rich-quickly crowd is punished. That appeals to my sense of justice. ;)
It will be issued in quite low numbers though, I would imagine, so once they're sold out the get-rich-quickly crowd will be flogging them on eBay.  There are ten coins in the set so if there is a BU set at all, it's likely to be issued at about £100.  A base metal proof version probably £250.  Perhaps I'm over-estimating the prices but I'd put nothing past the Royal Mint.

I speculate the ring-of-hands design would have made it had the UK not been exiting the EU, and perhaps even the EU conference table or stars designs.