News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

One of a kind

Started by <k>, February 03, 2012, 12:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Depending on your definition and sensitivity to the aroma of deceased fish, the Magdalen Island penny 1815 would be pretty close. Also, that is the only coin issued by a man called Coffin. Very apt for the fish in question.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Close, but not filleted.  ;)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

UK £2 2016.jpg

UK, 2 pounds, 2016.  The Great Fire of London.

Is this the only coin to depict or commemorate a fire?

chrisild

Depends on your definition of fire. ;) Guess that all those Olympic fires on coins should not count ...

Depiction of such "wild flames" above a city will be rare, maybe even unique. Historically, coins commemorating major city fires would usually emphasize the reconstruction efforts. This German 3 RM coin for example shows the city of Magdeburg after the destruction in the Thirty Years War. Even the text refers to the "renaissance" afterwards.

Also, here are two medals about "important" fires. The first one is from Glarus (CH) and commemorates the 1861 fire. It shows the destroyed town but is primarily about the reconstruction. Similarly, after the devastating fire in Hamburg (DE) in 1842, several medals were issued, but typically with the same "we made it" message. This one for example shows the inner city, and on the other side, Phoenix above a fire.

Christian

<k>

There's no smoke without fire, as we say in England. I was really looking for flames rather than the aftermath, but I didn't make that specific enough. You are however cheating by including medals.  :o

Coins with flames from fires, anybody?  ;)

Pabitra

Pakistan announced a coin of 50 Rupees on 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak

https://youtu.be/U3Np_581R4k

But later, the mint changed its mind to make more profits and issued it as 550 Rupees coin

<k>

Malaysia, 20 sen, 1990.  Circulation coin.

A tepak sireh, a traditional Malay metal container for storing betel leaves used for chewing.

<k>

Malaysia, 10 sen, 2009.  Circulation coin.

A congkak, a game of ancient Javanese origin played in Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Southern Thailand.

<k>

Malaysia, 5 sen, 1995.  Circulation coin.

A traditional spinning top, used in games and competitions.

<k>

Sri Lanka 2 rupees 2008.jpg

Sri Lanka, 2 rupees, 2008.     N# 28292.

Image © Ponpandi Perumal / Numista.

50th anniversary of the Employees Provident Fund.

The only coin to feature a sewing machine?

mrbadexample

Quote from: chrisild on April 05, 2013, 04:05:57 PMLes français ... naturellement. ;D  The origin of the word "mushroom" is the French "mousseron" which refers to a certain type of fungus. At some point the connection "got lost", i.e. the English did not understand it any more, but the word stuck.

When you posted the image of that Latvian coin, I was surprised first - after all, mushrooms can be found on many medals (token of luck) and postal stamps. Surely there must be more coins with mushrooms? Hmm, maybe not ...

Christian

As I understand it the "mousseron" refers to the Fairy Ring Champignon, Marasmius oreades.

I pick them regularly.  :P

https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/marasmius-oreades.php

<k>

Norway 20 kroner 2018.jpg

Norway, 20 kroner, 2018.

150th Anniversary of the Norwegian Trekking Association.

From Numista:

A hiking map with a lake, river, trails and the symbol for a self-service cabin, surrounded by the bezel ring of a compass. The motif depicts a compass in use. The coin's denomination is inscribed vertically just below the centre. The inscription appears on the bezel ring of the compass, and the signature of the artist (ML) is located on the left field.

<k>

Canada 25c 1992.jpg

Canada, 25 cents, 1992.   Saskatchewan.

The only coin design showing hopper cars ?