Author Topic: One of a kind  (Read 57823 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: One of a kind
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2015, 04:19:56 AM »
Latvia €5 (2015): Rainis and Aspazija. Only coin showing same signatures on both sides?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »
UK, 2 pounds, 2009. 

The design shows the handwriting of Robert Burns but without his signature. Dheer's topic, Signatures on Coins, has many examples of handwriting, but always with the famous person's signature. Apart from the Dickens design, are there any others that show a famous person's handwriting but without a signature?

How about this Irish coin commemorating James Joyce? I'm not sure if this is his handwriting...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »
How about this Irish coin commemorating James Joyce? I'm not sure if this is his handwriting...

Apparently the text includes an error, which means it is not Joyce's handwriting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/irish-central-bank-admits-that-it-made-error-on-james-joyce-coin-8569280.html

A specially minted coin honouring the author features a depiction of his head and a passage from one of his best-known works, the novel Ulysses. Trouble is, it gets the quotation wrong, inserting an extraneous “that” into the sentence “Signatures of all things [that] I am here to read.”

The bank displayed its own level of creativity when it said in a statement: “While the error is regretted, it should be noted that the coin is an artistic representation of the author and text and not intended as a literal representation.”

It's an interesting coincidence, in view of dheer's topic, that the quotation includes the word "signatures".  :)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2015, 02:36:18 AM »
One of a kind.

ISRAEL - SILVER 1 NEW SHEQELS UNC 2010 YEAR JONAH IN BELLY WHALE

The only coin that shows a human that has been eaten. (Jonah)

Dale

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »

It's an interesting coincidence, in view of dheer's topic, that the quotation includes the word "signatures".  :)

Is the word "signatures" a signature  :)
humm this one got me  ;D
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Latvia €5 (2015): Rainis and Aspazija. Only coin showing same signatures on both sides?

Nobody challenged me on this, shall I take it as I have successfully made it to 'one of a kind' list? ;D ;D

Aditya

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2015, 01:01:16 PM »
Nobody challenged me on this, shall I take it as I have successfully made it to 'one of a kind' list? ;D ;D

Aditya

For now, yes. Though I'm sure one of the smaller mints could knock me up something very quickly for a tiny fee.  >:D  Haven't you ever previously posted a piece that was not rejected, then?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
For now, yes. Though I'm sure one of the smaller mints could knock me up something very quickly for a tiny fee.  >:D  Haven't you ever previously posted a piece that was not rejected, then?

Not really...my reply# 46 was also accepted as 'one of a kind'... :P

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,13509.msg124610.html#msg124610

Aditya

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
Well done, Count Aditya. I've had so many I don't need to count.  8)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
One of a kind.

ISRAEL - SILVER 1 NEW SHEQELS UNC 2010 YEAR JONAH IN BELLY WHALE

The only coin that shows a human that has been eaten. (Jonah)

Dale

Does this one count? Either Jonah has not been eaten yet - or else he has and he's getting out.

Palau, $2, 2015.

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2016, 12:14:39 AM »
However, as Malcolm stated, it's a fire truck. A horse driven one.

Do we have any other examples on coins?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
However, as Malcolm stated, it's a fire truck. A horse driven one.

OK, natko, but it's past its sell-by date, so you will have to pay me a fine. Send me 150,000 Croatian rupees before midnight, or you will turn into a pumpkin.  >:(

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
New Zealand $1 (2015): Rugby World Cup. The only 'coin' to officially have a logo of a company? ;D

(This coin thing is ridiculously ugly)

Aditya

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
Cape Verde, 250 escudos, 2015.  40th anniversary of independence.

The only coin to feature wind turbines? Interesting designs on both sides of the coin. The energy that drives wind turbines is of course intermittent, so they are not very reliable. Moreover, they cannot be manufactured using wind power, and the material to build them has to be extracted from the Earth in the usual manner. Their manufacture is therefore as dirty and polluting as anything else.

Sadly, this design uses stick people, a feature that is becoming more common on coins. Perhaps this is to remind us of the concept of the holographic universe, which suggests that we are living in a hologram that is being projected from the edge of the universe. Our senses may be so configured to make us think that we are three-dimensional. Well, we also think we are solid, but we are made of atoms, and atoms consist of 99.999% space. Remove the "space" from the human race, and the whole of the "matter" of the human race could fit into an area equivalent to the size of a sugar cube. Fact. Now consider that we may be the creation of some entities that are "gaming" us. Have you had any inexplicable experiences in your life? Maybe some "gamers", with a troll-like mentality, were playing tricks on you to enjoy your reactions. Or maybe the gamers generated some UFOs to scare people. It's an interesting idea, if you think about it. But as yet, that's all it is: a theory.  ;)

Image copyright of www.africancollectible.com.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
This may also be the only coin with an exploded pie graph as well as the only coin with an organisation chart on it. That would make it the only coin with three one-of-a-kind features, so that it would actually have four one-of-a-kind features, which would also be a one-of-a-kind feature and therefore it would be the only coin with three real and one virtual one-of-a-kind features, which would give it five one-of-a-kind features :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.