News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

One of a kind

Started by <k>, February 03, 2012, 12:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

I don't think there are any real coins with candy on them.  There is a candy cane on a coin but if you know the coin it is actually showing Christmas ornaments and the candy cane is a glass ornament.

I think this one can stand on candy.

Dale

Quote from: andyg on November 05, 2013, 11:55:59 PM
Dale found a better sock anyway. :)

I did think about trying "Candy in a Stocking" but thought that might be pushing things a bit 8)

chrisild

wichterle.jpg

What about modern contact lenses?

The Czech Republic dedicated a collector coin to Otto Wichterle.

He was a chemist who invented the soft contact lens.

Designed by Josef Oplištil ... the coin, that is. :)

Christian

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on December 01, 2013, 01:37:07 PM
What about modern contact lenses? The Czech Republic dedicated a collector coin to Otto Wichterle, a chemist who invented the soft contact lense. Designed by Josef Oplištil ... the coin, that is. :)

Christian

But he ain't wearing any.  ???
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Think of him working on them. ;)  You can get a better view here by the way:
http://www.ceskamincovna.cz/en/commemorative-coins-cnb-908/silver-200-czk-coin-otto-wichterle-standard-3943-p/
Click on "Zoom" first; then - in the separate frame - click on "Flip" to see the other side. (The image in reply #76 shows the proof version; the one in the link is the BU version.)

Christian

<k>

Australia, 20 cents, 2014. Comforts Fund.

The only design of a woman knitting?

Prosit

I think the Isle of man had a coin with knitting needels on it but no person knitting.
There are bound to be lots of award medals for knitting...

Don't know of a single coin with a person knitting.
Now I do   ;)

Nice one!

Dale

Quote from: <k> Australia, 20 cents, 2014. Comforts Fund.

The only design of a woman knitting?
/quote]

<k>

Quote from: Prosit on January 23, 2014, 02:26:33 AMI think the Isle of man had a coin with knitting needels on it but no person knitting.

Isle of Man 1p 1991.jpg

Isle of Man 2p 1991.jpg

Isle of Man 2 Pence-1988.jpg

Isle of Man 1p  1988-.jpg

Must be this one. It had never occurred to me that they were knitting needles - they just didn't register with me until you mentioned that.

Prosit

For some reason that image doesn't show for me.

However the IoM, KM # 208, 2p, "traditional handicrafts" is the coin I was speaking of. I have a 1995 unc. example.

With much help from Andyg, my Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Guernsey and many other collections have seen considerable growth this last year. Thanks a million!

Dale

<k>

I hesitate to call this offering from Australia a coin, but surely no other country has issued a piece in honour of the blowfly.

Bright Bugs Series

310354_D_Reverse of the 2014 One Dollar Colour Printed Frosted Uncirculated Coin Blow Fly Bright Bugs Series_2.jpg

2014 $1 Colour Printed Frosted Uncirculated Coin - Blow Fly -Bright Bugs Series

Long has the Blowfly (Calliphoridae) been the scourge of many an Australian backyard barbeque but, when observed up close, this misunderstood creature can be seen as a marvel of design and colour. The Blowfly's prize feature is a shiny metallic coloured exoskeleton which gives off a blue, green and black sheen whilst flying. One of the first coins in the Royal Australian Mint's Bright Bugs six coin series will help give a new appreciation to the insect we all know so well.

Prosit

Pretty sneaky...refering to a very specific fly such as a blowfly...what about a Tse Tse...or a drqagonfly which isn't reallyt a fly,
Maybe unique as a blowdly but not as a fly.

Maybe some other catagories might be added as unique if we get that specific.

It is an od duck...uhhh...fly

Dale

<k>

Quote from: Prosit on February 02, 2014, 01:40:18 AM
Pretty sneaky...refering to a very specific fly such as a blowfly...what about a Tse Tse...or a drqagonfly which isn't reallyt a fly,
Maybe unique as a blowdly but not as a fly.

Dale

I have had a dragonfly land on me, and I wasn't worried. I do NOT like blowflies landing on me. They should have the courtesy to wait until I am dead. So to me they ARE greatly different. (OK, how about maggots, then?).

Prosit

I know a dragon fly is much different...but there is a coin with a Tse Tse fly. It too is a different genus and as far as i know a different family but never the less similar.

I think the maggot is uniquely disgusting  though  ;)

Dale

andyg

postbox.jpg

Postbox?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Prosit

USMDB.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a coin with a mailbox on it but I can't think of one. 

But a drop box? I think it is likely unique. Never saw a postbox that looked like that.

I imagine they are country specific. Most I have seen look like this:

Dale

Quote from: andygPostbox?

andyg

Our postboxes are a little more old-fashioned....

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....