News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

List of islands in the United States - tokens & exonumia

Started by Alex Island, September 28, 2020, 12:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

For a long time I have been collecting photos of all tokens and similar about all the islands in the United States.
Now I have sorted all the finds by states. I do not know who is interested in this, except for me personally.

I found various islands, and tokens for them in almost every state except three - Connecticut, New Mexico, and Wyoming. Only in these three states I was unable to find islands with tokens. If you wish, you can from all this compile a geographic numismatic author's catalog about the islands in the United States, with an overview for each state. This is an interesting and lengthy topic. It's hard for me to say who it will be interesting for.. Some of this collection of mine has already been shown here in this thread about geographically oriented tokens.
I have been collecting this for a long time for my own entertainment. Write to those who may be interested. Or one particular state or territory may be interesting.

I have a collection of photos of tokens and exonumia about islands in the United States, collected mainly from various auctions, sorted into folders as follows:

All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

What I collect and what it looks like. For example: islands in the state of New Jersey

These tokens have already been presented here on the forum in separate topics:

Brigantine Island, tokens

Five Mile Beach island, token

Long Beach Island, token

Ludlam Island, Sea Isle City, tokens

Shooters Island, token

West Wildwood island, token

Wildwood island, tokens

and also additionally Bertrand Island, tokens

This is not a complete list and not all tokens are provided. You can add and collect some other islands for this state. In the same way, I collect all the islands for each state in the USA.

brandm24

Here's a list of all the islands in Connecticut, Alex. As far as any tokens associated with them, not sure about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Connecticut

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on September 28, 2020, 05:44:41 PM
Here's a list of all the islands in Connecticut, Alex. As far as any tokens associated with them, not sure about that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Connecticut

Yes, thanks, I saw. Only I have not yet discovered the existence of any tokens for these islands.
I also saw a list of islands in the state of Wyoming : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_of_Wyoming ; but haven't found any tokens for them yet.
For many islands in the rest of the states, I have found a variety of tokens for them.

ps. Alaska turned out to be one of the most interesting states for me, because it is a rather exotic region, there are many islands and tokens were issued; I have a catalog of these tokens, but not all photos and not all islands are shown there ..

Alex Island

Bruce, I want to ask you. I search the net for token catalogs by states in the United States and states in Canada. And I see very few of them. The only full-fledged catalog that I have downloaded is "Alaska and Yukon tokens"; I have not seen catalogs in other regions, except for a few magazines and auctions. Can you give links to which I can download and look through the existing directories, I want to see what is there on my theme about the islands, preferably with the ability to search by text, for example, pdf format. Can you provide links by states?

brandm24

There are a number of catalogs for individual states, Alex, but I don't know if there are any that are online and available to download. I'll look around for you but in the meantime you might want to check out the TAMS (Token and Medal Society) website. The organization advertises some state catalogs for sale but none to download as far as I know. Maybe someone there can help you out.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

brandm24

I happen to be a member of TAMS and will review a couple of recent journals to see exactly what they offer.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on June 06, 2021, 10:32:43 PM
I happen to be a member of TAMS and will review a couple of recent journals to see exactly what they offer.
Bruce

Do you see anything on my topic, Bruce? take your attention and let me know, please.

brandm24

Always Faithful

brandm24

Currently, the only state catalogs offered by TAMS are West Virginia, Louisiana, South Carolina, Arkansas, and California. Unfortunately, none are downloadable. Of course there are catalogs for other states as well but I haven't found any that are free to download.

Token catalogs here are universally written by individuals and published in limited numbers by small publishing houses or token organizations such as TAMS, or MDTAMS. In many cases they're distributed by the author himself and aren't found on sites such as Amazon or ABE.

Sorry I couldn't help you on this, but I'll keep looking.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Bruce, you are now moderating this section. For this reason, I want to tell you that no one has ever collected the tokens of all the islands in the United States, these photographs. And only I have photos of tokens for about 500 islands in the United States. Nobody has ever collected or published it. What do you think about it.

brandm24

I always read your posts and respond when I have something to share. As you might expect I can sometimes provide information on issuers of tokens, particularly from US islands as resources on them is more readily available to me. Having said that, I have an interest in others too and have learned from your presentations and the resulting discussions by members.

Your specialty is unique and I for one appreciate it. Have you ever thought about publishing your work, Alex? You have a lot to offer the collecting community as a whole. It would be a big job but you already seem to have your material highly organized. If you haven't thought about it please do.

Keep up the good work and we hope to continue hearing from you...often. You're a valued member here :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on October 26, 2021, 10:41:13 AM
I always read your posts and respond when I have something to share. As you might expect I can sometimes provide information on issuers of tokens, particularly from US islands as resources on them is more readily available to me. Having said that, I have an interest in others too and have learned from your presentations and the resulting discussions by members.

Your specialty is unique and I for one appreciate it. Have you ever thought about publishing your work, Alex? You have a lot to offer the collecting community as a whole. It would be a big job but you already seem to have your material highly organized. If you haven't thought about it please do.

I have sorted the island tokens for each state separately. Now I would like to check my findings against any state token catalogs, if there is a catalog. Do you have token catalogs for any particular state?

brandm24

I don't have any state catalogs for tokens, Alex. There are some states that have been cataloged by researchers, but many aren't. Most of the ones that have been are small limited publications and difficult to find.

Bruce
Always Faithful