West Wildwood island, NJ, rare tokens

Started by Alex Island, June 09, 2020, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

West Wildwood island located on a small island connected to Wildwood island.

I decided that this is a rare island that is indicated on the token, because for the Wildwood island about 40 different tokens are shown in the token catalog, and I still have several of those that are not in the "tokencatalog.com", but I have not seen any tokens for the West Wildwood island anywhere..:

West Wildwood island rare token:
All islands around the world & islands coin

brandm24

These four towns are collectively called "The Wildwoods" although each have separate governing bodies as far as I know. Actually they're called North Wildwood, West Wildwood, Wildwood, and Diamond Beach. West Wildwood fronts the bay and is connected to the other three, all of which face the Atlantic Ocean.

They're very popular resort destinations that I've spent quite a bit of time at over the years. My wife and her family nearly always went there for their vacations, and she actually worked in the area for several summers as a teenager.
When  people from around here go to the resorts, wildwood's and others and people ask where you went, the answer is always "down the shore".

More memories. Many thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on June 09, 2020, 08:24:36 PM
These four towns are collectively called "The Wildwoods" although each have separate governing bodies as far as I know. Actually they're called North Wildwood, West Wildwood, Wildwood, and Diamond Beach. West Wildwood fronts the bay and is connected to the other three, all of which face the Atlantic Ocean.

Bruce

I can add for this topic that for each of these areas, there were tokens.

Wildwood island tokens:

brandm24

I was checking the map you posted, Alex Island, and realized I "skipped" Wildwood Crest. Diamond Beach is actually a part of the Crest and is a high-end condominium, town house community. I know it's high-end because they won't let me in there. ;D

You have a nice collection of tokens. I have a small number of arcade tokens from the boardwalk but haven't been able to find them. If I do, I'll post pictures.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I found the tokens and have taken pictures of them. These were from the 1990's. All are 25 mm / aluminium arcade tokens.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Here's the other three.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on June 12, 2020, 11:33:46 AM
I found the tokens and have taken pictures of them. These were from the 1990's. All are 25 mm / aluminium arcade tokens.

Bruce

This is a very beautiful collection, Bruce!  :)

As far as I know, the rarest token - is for Wildwood Crest.
For all the time I managed to find only the only photo of this token..

In general, I collect all the islands of the USA and Canada on tokens and medals.
Sometimes I will post their photos in this section, you can join this interesting study!

Wildwood Crest, Wildwood Island rare token:

brandm24

I don't know of any Crest tokens either. The reason is probably because the main parts or "entertainement" areas of the boardwalk are in Wildwood itself.  Most of the tokens you'll see are issued by arcades, all, or nearly all, located on the boardwalk. Yours is the first I've ever seen.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

In this case, I will show you another interesting find.

I open the page in the encyclopedia:
"Category: Islands of New Jersey" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Islands_of_New_Jersey

And I see there an article about "Five Mile Beach, Wildwood". With surprise, I read that this too is an island!  :) 

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Mile_Beach

It is possible that I do not understand anything in geography. But since they write that this is an island, then he also has his own badge. For this occasion, I edited the photo of rare token:

brandm24

My wife is the expert in the family on all things to know about "the shore"  I never heard of 5 mile beach, but she has. Cape May is a separate community from the Wildwoods but it's the next town south from Diamond Beach and runs all the way to the southernmost point of New Jersey.

That's an interesting transportation token that I've certainly never seen. Do you know how old it is? Not familiar with the company either.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Quote from: brandm24 on June 12, 2020, 08:51:21 PM
That's an interesting transportation token that I've certainly never seen. Do you know how old it is? Not familiar with the company either.

Bruce

No, I do not know these details.
But I know that for Wildwood Island you can also find various tokens with a nominal value of 5 and 10 cents ..:

brandm24

The Ocean Pier token is relatively old. Looks to be pre-1940's. A short history here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt%27s_Pier

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I didn't find anything on the cigar store token, but did get a bit on the Five Mile Beach Electric Railway Co.

It was founded in 1902 and offered trolley service to North Wildwood, Wildwood, and Wildwood Crest. They converted to buses in 1928 and in the 1980's to trolley-buses (buses that look like trolleys) The line still runs today, but only in the summer months. The company is now known as the Great American Trolley.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

If you're interested, here are two more rare tokens:

brandm24

Thanks for posting the two additional tokens.

Wildwood Catholic High School was at 1500 Central Ave. in North Wildwood. It opened in 1948 but was closed in 2010. I believe the building is still there but haven't been to that area in some time.

Nicky's Games is apparently no longer in business. Boardwalk's Best Gift & Variety Store is at that address today.

Bruce
Always Faithful