Westair repros (WRL)

Started by Figleaf, October 30, 2007, 08:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

They should have posted their coin on this forum. I could have told them WRL stands for Westair Reproductions Limited. While their products may have a certain educational value and are certainly fun toys, they shouldn't fool anyone who knows what real silver and gold coins look like.

Source: News Post Leader

Old coin is fake - expert

Published Date: 27 October 2007

By ELEANOR GREGSON

WHAT was believed to be an ancient coin found in South East Northumberland has been revealed as a fake.
The coin, which was said to be around 500 years old and was expected to fetch thousands of pounds at auction, has turned out to be a replica.

The News Post Leader reported recently how a treasure-hunter had found the gold coin in Choppington and was planning to sell it.

News of the discovery excited historians and archaeologists in the region who were keen to see the coin first-hand.

But an examination by professionals revealed the coin was not heavy enough to be minted from gold, but instead was covered with a gold resin to give the appearance of the precious metal.

Rob Collins, finds liaison officer at Newcastle University's Museum of Antiquities, inspected the coin when it was finally brought to him for examination.

He said: "It was clear when I looked at the coin that it was a replica. Even though it was made of metal, it was not heavy enough to be gold.

"There was a plastic gold resin to give it that gold look. Also on the coin was a small WRL marking which is a very common mark for a replica."

Mr Collins added that he was not disappointed the coin was a fake as he had been sceptical about its authenticity from the outset.

"Gold coins are fairly rare finds so I was pretty sceptical that it would be the genuine article," he said.

Treasure-hunters have also been causing chaos on farming land in the area after news of the find spread.

Mr Collins is urging members of the public keen on looking for ancient artifacts to make sure they are doing so within the law.

He said: "If people are looking for artifacts and antiques then they should always make sure they have the permission of the land-owner whether they have a metal-detector or not."

He added: "And it is illegal to look for such items on ancient monuments so people should always check before doing so."
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

redwine

I have some Westair Reproductions

Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

We do have a another thread on the Westair Reproductions somewhere but I have been unable to find it. I remember too adding a scan, from SNC July '83, regarding the Bigbury mint and providing details of the commonly seen viking coin replica.

Here are images of two more types of replica coins; neither mention BP.

The first is from a Spanish set.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

Here are two more  8)
Our French friends have been discussing these, it doesn't look like they got very far.  Once I decipher the final post I'll let you know.....
http://www.numismatique.com/forum/faux/piece-188-217-caracalla-t51298-10.html
I couldn't find the Westair Reproductions thread either  :'(

redwine

I read those but like you say not much substance on WRL.
I visited their website http://www.westair-reproductions.com/

redwine

malj1

I have only the one, nicely stamped WRL in front of bust.
Malcolm

redwine

Quote from: redwine on September 10, 2013, 07:37:38 AM
Here are two more  8)
Our French friends have been discussing these, it doesn't look like they got very far.  Once I decipher the final post I'll let you know.....
http://www.numismatique.com/forum/faux/piece-188-217-caracalla-t51298-10.html
I couldn't find the Westair Reproductions thread either  :'(

A big THUMBS UP to Westair  8) , they answered my email! - these were commissioned by Westair and made in Italy for mainly the UK market, around 30 years ago.

malj1

My Constantino piece in Reply #10 is most certainly from the same set as these having the same style of reverse.

All of this series are obvious reproductions but later they added the initials WRL which became necessary as their products improved and became mistaken for the real thing.
Malcolm

redwine

Indeed, the clue to the mystery was in the Caracalla piece - with the W beneath the bust ;D

malj1

Another WRL located in my junk box:

IMP CAES DOMIT AUGG ... Rev, FID EXERGECII from a later series that were clearly stamped WRL both sides, bronze 35.1mm
Malcolm

redwine

WRL should really have their own museum of reproductions.
Educational and a great marketing tool! 8)

malj1

Here are two more of the, nicely stamped WRL, reproductions:

Antoninus Pius 138-161AD and a dupondius of Hadrian 117-118AD

These two measure approx. 28mm

Malcolm

malj1

And three more of the, nicely stamped WRL, reproductions:

A Denarius of Julius Caesar with elephant walking right and another Denarius, this time, of Vespasian 69-79 AD

Finishing up with a Gold reproduction of Claudius 41-54AD

These three are around 17-18mm.
Malcolm