News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Westair repros (WRL)

Started by Figleaf, October 30, 2007, 08:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezuss

imperatore caracalla seems to have been made with different pictures.

and many of the imperatore coins have been made from different metals.

Figleaf

In reply #8 we learned that thee Imperatore series was made in Italy. I find them less classy than other WRL stuff.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Yes the Italian W signature on these, but rather odd to have two different images.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

The facing portrait is prolly a medallion, not a coin. Maybe Westair objected and the Italians used the same font or even a punch of the whole legend for its replacement. Note that the flans have the same shape. Only the portrait is different.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jezuss

this is the third coin of caracalla, which was also mentioned in earlier posts.

of all the other emperors of this imperatore series, i only have 1 picture per emperor.

Imperatore

Figleaf

Funny! That one looks like a production of Westair proper, an alternative to the crude Italian-made piece shown above.

Peter

jezuss

elizabeth I
both sides of the 'original' coin.

FosseWay

That is interesting - it is (or rather they are) a further example of the series I illustrated a few pages back in this thread of English/British coins with obverse and reverse on separate flans. I've not seen the Elizabeth sixpence (either side of it) before.

jezuss

i think robert bruce also is not mentioned yet.

here you can see al my WR marked westair tokens : Westair Reproductions - WR

jezuss

another westair reproduction.
19 mm zinc.

but i can't read the inscription...

jezuss

another westair reproduction which a can't read.
19mm zinc

Figleaf

8th or 9th century short cross penny. The type was widely used in Europe, but since it is Westair you'd expect it to be British. Not in Spink. Irish?

Peter

Figleaf

Quote from: jezuss on October 22, 2021, 07:36:16 PM
but i can't read the inscription...

Harold II, PAX type, Spink 1186 (with scepter in left field) or 1187 (without scepter).

obv: + HAROLD REX ANGLorum
rev: (moneyer and mint) PAX in central band

Peter

Manzikert

re Reply 85

Poitou, Richard the lionheart denier.

Alan

Figleaf

Brilliant, Manzikert! I missed the I in the first line completely.

Denier (1189-1199), Boudeau 420, Poey d'Avant 2536, Duplessy -

obv: short cross in circle + RICARDVS REX or variant
rev: PIC / TAVIE / NSIS (of Poitou)

Actually, Richard was count of Poitou. He was king of England. By heraldic rules, he should not have mixed his titles.

Peter