Islands - My new finds

Started by Alex Island, October 02, 2021, 09:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

I have been collecting all the islands for many years, but I constantly find new ones about which I did not know before, and this is amazing .. Or there find are photos of tokens about which I knew only a description without a photo.  8)
Here I will post some of my new finds that I made recently.

If you find anything interesting on this topic, please add to this collection.  :)

All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

For the first time I discovered a photo of a token, which I previously knew only from descriptions.

wiki Honey Island, Texas

They write that though not usually an island, it is located on elevated land between the Cypress and Flat Cypress creeks, which rise in heavy rain, thereby temporarily isolating the area as an island.

Honey Island map

Before this find, I only had a text with a description:

Alex Island

Seven Islands of Bombay. Entertaining research.

Bombay used to be located on seven islands. I found a lot of tokens, and tried to determine which islands they can be attributed to. It is a curious task. For example, I defined these two tokens as referring to the island of Mazagaon:

QuoteMazagaon, also spelled Mazgaon and Mazagon (Portuguese rule Mazagão), and pronounced by the Catholics as 'Mazgon' or 'Maz-a-gon' and the Marathi-speakers as Mazgav. It is one of the seven islands of Mumbai. It is part of South Mumbai and can be reached by Byculla Station on the Central railway line and Dockyard Road Station on the Harbour Railway line. Located in Mazagaon are maritime companies like the Bombay Port Trust and Mazagaon Dock Ltd., the Mazagaon Court and Anglo-Indian schools

Alex Island

Islands in Florida, USA.

This state includes many islands, and I found that there were tokens for about 90 different islands in that state. It is interesting that many of them instead of the name "island" indicate the name "key".

I just discovered another island with a token at the auction for the first time, which I did not know about before:
Summerland Key island, Florida Wooden Nickel Token

Alex Island

Seven Islands of Bombay. Entertaining research. Continue

If you have knowledge on this issue, please report.  8)

I have so far managed to find tokens for the islands of Bombay and Mazagaon. So far, I am slowly moving forward in search. For another island called Colaba, I still see only this medal: Colaba, Bombay

Alex Island

Today I saw the token for the first time: Al-Tro Island

chrisild

Quote from: Alex Island on October 02, 2021, 10:13:59 AM
Islands in Florida, USA.

This state includes many islands, and I found that there were tokens for about 90 different islands in that state. It is interesting that many of them instead of the name "island" indicate the name "key".

... which actually has the same meaning. ;) The word "key" or "cay" refers to a small island, see here, "Etymology" section.

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on October 04, 2021, 08:25:58 PM
... which actually has the same meaning. ;) The word "key" or "cay" refers to a small island, see here, "Etymology" section.

Yes, that's right, thanks. Here in this section there were already such examples of tokens:  :)

Cedar Key island, Florida, rare tokens

Perdido Key island, Florida, rare token

Florida Keys islands, Florida, rare tokens

Boca Chica Key island, Florida, rare token

Alex Island

First time I see a token/jeton for the Tristan island, île Tristan in France

QuoteAfter the island was acquired by Gustave le Guillou de Penanros in 1854, in the southern part of the island, La Planiche built a sardine press. Le Guillou de Penanros developed the harbour and the sardine processing plant on the island, the first of its kind. The sardine industry developed as Douarnenez' principal economic activity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

QuoteOn January 10, 1854, the island was sold to Gustave Raymond Le Guillau-Penanros, a merchant, and his wife Matilde Honorine Le Guillou-Penanros for 25,000 francs. The sale includes the "Isle of Tristan, known as Le Fort", consisting of houses, shops and other living quarters, a garden, warm lands, cold lands, and the dependent territories in the commune of Douarnenez (...) without any exceptions or reservations, except, however, the government's right to be present and operate the battery located there. " The sale does not include the half owned by the farmer who manages the island. Tristan according to the agreement.

QuoteEn 1905, Henri Bourde de La Rogerie décrit ainsi l'île Tristan :

« L'Île Tristan (...) s'est transformée : une fabrique de conserves, une confortable maison bourgeoise, des jardins, un bois, lui donnent l'aspect d'une belle propriété de rapport : rien n'y rappelle le souvenir du prieuré de Saint-Tutuarn, ni celui de la forteresse de La Fontenelle. »

Alex Island

Napoleon Island - Ile Napoléon in France.
Recently I discovered only a medal/jeton, I don't know about other tokens yet, but I can assume that they exist ..:

QuoteThe Ile Napoleon is a hamlet located in the suburbs of Mulhouse and distributed over communal bans Sausheim, Illzach and Rixheim in France . In the middle of this junction was a circular island, like a roundabout . As the Rhône-Rhine canal was originally called the Napoleon Canal , this island was named Napoleon Island , giving its name to this locality. It was on this island that the collaborator Jean-Pierre Mourer was executed in 1947 .
This island was eliminated during the creation of the autonomous port of Mulhouse in 1968 . The port is managed by the South Alsace Mulhouse Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Taking advantage of the waterfall, the Zuber-Rieder & Cie paper mill is set up on the Ile Napoléon site.

brandm24

An interesting history on Napoleon Island. I wouldn't expect to find many more tokens, etc. from there since it no longer exists.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

The island has been subsumed in the land. The church on the religious token still stands, but it is now situated in Rixheim (Reichsheim). Photo: Google Maps.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alex Island

Bruce, Peter, thanks for participating. It seemed to me that the Tristan Island (île Tristan) token is very curious and rare. I wonder in which catalogs you can see such tokens?

brandm24

I wonder what the purpose of the Tristan Island token was. I assume it was issued for the sardine processing plant but the look of the token says late 19th century 1870-1890. Too late for that business, maybe?

I could be wrong in my dating of the token style, but these brass issues with the small circle of dots were common here in the US during that period. Is there any more information available about the commercial activities on the island that you know of, Alex?

Though corroded, the piece has a lot of appeal to me.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Quote from: brandm24 on October 09, 2021, 12:16:00 PM
I wonder what the purpose of the Tristan Island token was. I assume it was issued for the sardine processing plant but the look of the token says late 19th century 1870-1890. Too late for that business, maybe?

Not at all too late. A plant in Douarnenez still produces canned sardines, though at its zenith, there were some 40 plants there. The competition was fierce, both among the plants in Douarnenez and with plants in other countries, notably Portugal. Until the sardine fisheries tapered off (depletion of stock, competition from low wage countries, preference for fresh fish), the constants were stench, filth, bad housing, poor payment, abusive labour circumstances and a communist mayor (the present mayor comes from the political right).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.