News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Kettle Family of Die-Sinkers

Started by constanius, April 28, 2014, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

This unsigned piece has a very similar design with name of Jehovah in Hebrew above rays shining down on Imperial crown. FEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING REWARD OF MERIT
reverse has the Lords Prayer written out in full. brass 27.9mm

Edited the size  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bagerap

Nice Malcolm. I believe that Pat also has one or maybe more of these. Mine is holed, can't find the image at present.

constanius

Unlisted in BHM or by Fauver.

George III Death Medal 1820. Obv. Name of Jehovah in Hebrew above rays shining down on Imperial crown.FEAR GOD, HONOUR THE KING. Rev. THE LORD'S PRAYER. BHM# 996 RRRR. Br. 25mm by Kettle. Fauver lists it as 1810 50th Jubilee.

Pat

constanius

Fauver:  Geo III-1b, 1801 19.5mm brass R-6, Batty 2083.

Pat

malj1

This one for the GRAND NATIONAL JUBILEE (remainder illegible) dated 1809 is signed K (&?) S with COMMEMOR GEORGE III ACCESSION on ribbon Crowned sword and sceptre 50 below

Brass 25mm
Malcolm

Figleaf

The full text is:

GRAND NATIONAL
JUBILEE.
CELEBRATED OCT.25.
1809 THE KING
HAVING ENTERED
IN
THE 50. YEAR
OF HIS REIGN.

The text on the ribbon (left to right) is COMMEMOR / GEORGE III / ACCESSION

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

Another from 1809, this is signed Kettle.

Pat

constanius

One from 1810 BHM #681, unsigned, does not look like a usual Kettle portrait but luckily the reverse is shared with signed Kettle tokens(even though the one pictured below, for comparison, is a rare unsigned variant).

Pat

bgriff99

Are there tokens attributed to the Kettles?

constanius

Quote from: bgriff99 on September 29, 2014, 07:31:49 AM
Are there tokens attributed to the Kettles?

Yes, from British Imitation Spade Guineas 1793-1802(used as card counters/tokens), Imitation USA Gold Eagles 1801-1805(counters/tokens), USA political & Trade tokens, British Card Counters etc.

Pat

Pat

bgriff99

Ok.   I meant as British or Canadian halfpenny or penny tokens.    That would seem to be right up their alley.

constanius

As far as I am aware, no.  I have collected Kettle pieces for a number of years & have the reference work by Fauver and so far zilch!

Thanks for your interest :)

Pat

Pat

constanius

Fauver, Alexander 1814-1fpa 25mm R-6 by Kettle.  The copy/reducing lines are clearly visible, the cutter juddered going over the bust ribbon and some of the letters.  The 'D' has a clear cutting line acrossed it.  As is the case with these medals, that show the die still had machined marks, the piece is in great condition, being silvered-copper also makes it slightly rarer.

Pat

Pat

malj1

Another as the one in Reply #21 in copper; for the jubilee, LONG LIVE THE KING
Malcolm

constanius

A document relating to Thomas joining his father in business 1802 & perhaps helping to expand it,

Indenture of mortgage by way of demise from Thomas Kettle of Birmingham, button maker, to Henry Hill of Birmingham, painter, of a messuage, land and appurtenances in Suffolk Street, Birmingham. Parchment. Reference:   MS 3388/Acc 1933-008/45
Date: 25 May 1802

A couple of documents relating to Thomas Kettle financial dealings re his acquisition of his father's company in 1811,

Bond from Thomas Kettle of Birmingham, button maker, to William Ashbee, brassfounder, and Eleazar Ashbee, gilt toymaker, both of Birmingham to secure the sum of £300. Paper. Reference: MS 3388/Acc 1933-008/48 Date: 24 June 1811

Assignment of mortgage from Henry Hill of Birmingham, painter, by the direction of Thomas kettle of Birmingham, button maker, to William Ashbee, brass founder, and Eleazar Ashbee, gilt toymaker, both of Birmingham, of a messuage, land and appurtenances in Suffolk Street, Birmingham. Parchment.
Reference:   MS 3388/Acc 1933-008/47 Date: 24 June 1811.

One for a property expansion(or relocation) in 1817,
Assignment from Thomas Kettle of Birmingham, gilt toymaker, to Thomas Willmare of Birmingham, dealer in metals, of a messuage, manufactory and appurtenances in Suffolk Street, Birmingham, Subject to a mortgage from the said Thomas Kettle to William Ashbee and Eleazar Ashbee. Paper. Reference:   MS 3388/Acc 1933-008/50 Date:   15 July 1817
In 1818 his address is, Kettle Thomas, 22 Suffolk-street

Another for a property expansion(or relocation) in 1825,
Assignment of mortgage from Eleazar Ashbee of Birmingham, gilt toy maker, by the direction of Thomas Kettle of Birmingham, button maker, to John Birch of Aston, gent., of a messuage, land and appurtenances in Suffolk Street, Birmingham. Parchment.
Reference:   MS 3388/Acc 1933-008/51 Date: 28 June 1825

This 1838 advert shows the expansion to 3 addresses,

Thomas Kettle had married Mary Twist on the 7 Nov 1796 Birmingham, in a directory of 1849,
Kettle Mary, jewellery and black ornament manufacturer, 99, Suffolk street.
Kettle Thos. jewellery mnfr.; h. 99, Suffolk st.

But by 1861,
Hobson Frederick, Joseph, (late T. H. Kettle,) button manufacturer, stamper and piercer, jeweller, gilt toy manufacturer, silversmith, glass toy maker, watch key and chain manufacturer, 99, Suffolk street

Pat