News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Strange item, token/weight/?: 20 - 3D

Started by Henk, March 24, 2017, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I have the following rather odd item which looks a bit like a spinning top. The top is brass with 20 --- 3 D, the bottom is tinned. diameter is 18,9 mm and height is 9,2 mm. Its weight is 2,25 grams. My first thought it to be a weight. But 20 3d pieces is one crown and it should weigh about 27 grams (the small silver ones). If it were for brass 3d's it should weigh even more! So, obviously not a weight but what else?

Any ideas will be appreciated!

africancoins

Maybe it is a lid for some sort of container for three old 3 Pence coins.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

It is indeed the lid of a money container for 20 X 3d [twenty threepence coins] for silver coins of course.

Similar to the 6d container below for 40 X 6d

The Threepenny one on the left is titled 'Magic Saving Bank' while the sixpenny one has 'Magic Pocket Savings Bank'.

The right-hand one has 'The Midget Coin Box' on the side and 'for 40 3d pieces' on the lid.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

The models I know are similar, but not the same, which may have played a role in why Henk didn't recognise the lid for what it was. My grandfather had some. They were kept with his broken pocket watch on a chain and his walking stick with hidden sword. The items disappeared with him...

Similarly, they are tubes with a double bottom, separated by a spring, pushing the coins up and keeping them in place. However, instead of a screw lid, the upper part of the tube was rolled into a partial inward pointing lip that kept the coins from falling out and exposed exactly one coin's edge on one side. The intention was to pay by shoving coins out with your thumb (I could manage that as a child) and adding new coins by pushing the other coins down while shoving a new one in.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Henk

Thanks for identifying my item and the information. This gives me the challenge to obtain the other part of the coin container! Any offers?

malj1

I only have the spare 6d lid shown above!  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.