Misc: Fake: Error Coin - 10 Rupee with two different Obv and Rev

Started by Abhay, January 27, 2014, 03:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

An error coin was listed on Ebay, and I won the Auction.
Today, I received the coin in my hand, and as the images showed, this coin has 60 Years of Indian Parliament on the Obverse and Homi Bhabha on the reverse with the usual denomination and INDIA.

I have seen many such Brokage coins, but never a coin with two different themes. How can this be possible in the mint?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Coinsforever

Unbelievable Abhay ji,

As the coin is now in your hand you can verify the error by comparing legends with orginally minted issued of parliament & Homi baba.

Weight and also , surface , legends dimensions etc.

Cheers ;D
Ps : with such error specimen there are 2 points come into my mind . Firstly quality inspection of mints.Second any thing can be possible with mints who can undertake orders to produce such type of error.
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Abhay

What I fail to understand is that how is this possible technically?

At first look, the coin feels and looks OK by weight and size, and hence looks to be an original coin.

The two dies which must have been used for the minting of the 60 Years of Parliament coin, (the Obverse with Parliament Building and the reverse with Denomination and Lion) are clearly shown in the coin. So, from where the third die of Homi Bhabha came on the coin?

To me, it seems that the seller has somehow "MADE" this coin afterwards by using an ordinary 60 Years of Parliament coin, and then pressing the coin against a Homi Bhabha coin in a hydraulic press, thereby creating the image of the Homi Bhabha coin on the reverse.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

dheer

Quote from: Abhay on January 27, 2014, 05:19:48 PM

To me, it seems that the seller has somehow "MADE" this coin afterwards by using an ordinary 60 Years of Parliament coin, and then pressing the coin against a Homi Bhabha coin in a hydraulic press, thereby creating the image of the Homi Bhabha coin on the reverse.

Abhay
Fully agree with you Abhayji. 100% fake error made outside of the mint by using 3 coins and a press ... the Parliament coin at slightly higher temperature ... such errors were discussed here ... the most famous being that of "Kissing Durgada" ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Figleaf

The problem is that if you give a coin a whack, it will be flattened on both sides. Abhay, please check edge and rim for deformations (it looks like they are deformed on the picture, but that may easily be the light only) and compare diameter. If your coin is whacked, the diameter should be somewhat bigger. If it was struck in a collar as explained below, the diameter should be correct, but rims should widen and edge may look flattened or double struck.

I can't think of a scenario explaining how it would have occurred as an error, but a mint has all the equipment to do it in purpose. This is how I would do it:

• Use a normal coin and a proof press.
  • Fit the press with a Homi Bhabha die and a blank, thin roundel.
  • Strike once only with circulation coin pressure.

There are better ways to fabricate a mule, but since obverse and reverse don't align, they went through a minimum of trouble. I would use a proof press because it is easier to control for a single strike.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Abhay Ji

I feel it is a sandwich job. Someone could have sandwiched a normal 10 Rupees coin between two other coins and given a sharp blow by a  mechanical press. The guys might have used a metallic ring (which acted like a collar die) to prevent its expansion. I am uploading a pic (someone else's) of similar coins

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

Abhay

Thanks Sanjayji.

Ebay is full of such error coins. And they sell anywhere between 200-1000 rupees.
I myself had paid 900 for this coin.
So, please beware of such fake error coins on Ebay.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

beekar

Quote from: Abhay on February 03, 2014, 05:26:35 PM
Thanks Sanjayji.

Ebay is full of such error coins. And they sell anywhere between 200-1000 rupees.
I myself had paid 900 for this coin.
So, please beware of such fake error coins on Ebay.

Abhay

Fully agree with Kansal ji. 2 ebay sellers from Tamilnadu, "jproyals" and "errorcoinshop" are selling such sandwiched error coins. I've also bought 2 coins of this type. The photo of one of these coins r attached here. Request collectors to be careful while buying such error coins from ebay.