1799 copper coin that looks like an milan kronenthaler

Started by Michiel, January 15, 2014, 01:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michiel

Its almost the same as an kronenthaler from milan and lombardije.

year 1799, copper, 5,17 gram, 28 mm

But i can't find him in the catalogs

Figleaf

Forgery, possibly cast, of a half kroon 1786-1789 Brussels. The original is silver, 33 mm and the mintmark (angel's head) is above the arms, splitting the date, not right of the date. Crowns are of slightly different shape, lowest curl seems to be missing completely. There may be other differences. See Vanhoudt J 46, Delmonte Argent 394.

Illustration from auction catalog of Veilinghuis Eekhout.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Michiel

thanks peter,

than i can stop searching for this one.

THCoins

The placement of the year to the left of the mintmark may not be correct for the Brussels mint. It is however correct for the Habsburg coins minted in Milan. So i think it is more likely an Italian minted type.

Michiel

Quote from: THCoins on January 18, 2014, 11:36:50 AM
The placement of the year to the left of the mintmark may not be correct for the Brussels mint. It is however correct for the Habsburg coins minted in Milan. So i think it is more likely an Italian minted type.

I also think of milan. it must be an copy of an 1/4 kronenthaler. I was hoping that in my catalogs an copper version of this coin was missing.

THCoins

I think you are right, it is still probably a copy. But of the Italian type, not likely the Belgian.