News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Parthian Empire: Vologases I (second reign, ca. 58-77 CE) AR Diobol, Persis Mint

Started by Quant.Geek, January 08, 2016, 07:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quant.Geek

Parthian Empire: Vologases I (second reign, ca. 58-77 CE) AR Diobol, Persis Mint (Sunrise-425)

Obv: Diademed bust of Vologases I left.
Rev: Archer seated right on throne, holding bow; Incomplete Greek legends around ΟΛΙΓΑC[ΟΥ] ΤΟΥ ΚΥΡΙ[ΟΥ] (Vologases the lord)

From The Sunrise Collection as illustrated in:

Nelson, Bradley R., ed., Numismatic Art of Persia. The Sunrise Collection, Part I: Ancient. 650 BC to AD 650, Classical Numismatic Group, 2011

References:

Gallery of Coins from Sellwood's 1989 Article as indicated from the below reference...
Sellwood, David, New Parthian Coin Types, The Numismatic Chronicle, Vol. 149 (1989), pp. 162-168, Royal Numismatic Society, 1989

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

THCoins

A truely radiant coin of a time and place i do not know well. Stylistically i think it really shows it Persis heritage. But i can also imagine, how several centuries later, a similar symbolism was used on the portrait/archer coins of central Asia. In addition, great picture ! Thanks for showing.