News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Khingila, Alchon Huns, AR drachm

Started by BACTRIANUMIS, January 23, 2014, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BACTRIANUMIS

Dear Colleagues, could someone please help with identifying Gobl-type of this Khingila drachm?
Thanks in advance!!

BACTRIANUMIS

Seems to be G-70, Mitch-1424, Zabul style bust right, flames rising from shoulders, circular object to right..

Quant.Geek

That is a great looking coin.  Each time you show a coin, my mouth is dropping further down!  I can confirm it is MACW-1424...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

BACTRIANUMIS

Quote from: Quant.Geek on January 23, 2014, 08:00:23 PM
That is a great looking coin.  Each time you show a coin, my mouth is dropping further down!  I can confirm it is MACW-1424...

Thanks a lot for your comment, dear Quant.Geek! I do try to post, share and seek assistance on some of the most interesting coins I have..I think like the majority of our colleagues does :)

Pellinore

But to answer your first question, it appears to be Göbl 70 and also Vondrovec 70. The flames at the shoulders are called 'flywhisks' and the circular object might be a chakra or a jewel. At the bottom of the bust, there is a branch or a winglike object. The text on the obverse is Bactrian and reads 'Shao Alxano' or 'King of the Alchon'.

The style is not far from the coins designated as Khingila's, the great king who brought the Alchon Huns from Kabulistan into Gandhara, but it goes too far if you just take 'Shao Alxano' as another type of Khingila. I think you might confidently date it 5th century. These details are in Vondrovec I on p. 185; the catalogue shows Nr. 70 on p. 304-305. Your coin doesn't quite match the 'Alxano' on the obverse 1 o'clock of the coins shown, but a knowledgeable Bactrian reader might tell you more about this.
-- Paul