Akbar half tanka (dam) of Kabul mint / mihr Ilahi 45

Started by saro, May 14, 2014, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Like the "Arlésienne", it is spoken about a lot but never seen....here there is one :)
20,76g / diam 23mm / thickness : 5,5mm
legend:
"zarb Kabul nim tanka Akbar (Shah)-i / Ilahi 45 mihr"
in addition, it seems that the date "45" is also present on either parts of "nim" (4+nim+5)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

Wow, that's a stunner, I'm sure I must have something I can swap you for it  ;D ;D
Vic

saro

Quote from: capnbirdseye on May 14, 2014, 03:53:06 PM
Wow, that's a stunner, I'm sure I must have something I can swap you for it  ;D ;D

What is important is to try, not to succeed  ;D ....

capnbirdseye

Vic

saro

Dear Capnbirdseye,
You wrote in another thread (concerning the Akbar's half dam of Kabul mint) :
"someone posted Fb that Dams are not known for Kabul but since then I notice it's listed as KM#32.35"

I have never been able to see any picture or mention of a dam of Kabul mint in museum or auctions catalogues.
The only coins I have found for Akbar's dams are countermarked coins with "'adl Kabul" (+/- 18g).
If catalogued in KM, that means that it exists somewhere in a collection ???
This coin is my best find of these 10 last years (once more by chance as it wasn't identified...)
any info will be welcome

capnbirdseye

Quote from: saro on May 15, 2014, 09:52:09 AM
Dear Capnbirdseye,
You wrote in another thread (concerning the Akbar's half dam of Kabul mint) :
"someone posted Fb that Dams are not known for Kabul but since then I notice it's listed as KM#32.35"

I have never been able to see any picture or mention of a dam of Kabul mint in museum or auctions catalogues.
The only coins I have found for Akbar's dams are countermarked coins with "'adl Kabul" (+/- 18g).
If catalogued in KM, that means that it exists somewhere in a collection ???
This coin is my best find of these 10 last years (once more by chance as it wasn't identified...)
any info will be welcome

there is not one listed on zeno either so it must be quite scarce or rare regardless of KM's quite low valuation where it is listed without an illustration.
Vic

Coinsforever

Dear Saro & Vic ,

Not my area of specialization  (Akbar coppers)  but I'd like to enjoy viewing these specimen.

Here is listed  coin of Kabul (Link) for your reference.

Auction being progressing & one can bid to grab it.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

saro

Dear Coinsforever,
Thanks a lot for this information, it's a 4 tanki coin, a very scarce but well known  Akbar's copper listed in KM (KM42.3) which appears from time to time in auctions; one is on Zeno.
The dam (or 1/2 tanka, as far I know, is absent of all museum catalogues (Lucknow, Calcutta, Lahore), A. Liddle, Zeno, S.Album etc..

capnbirdseye

It's confirmed on  Fb to be a rare mint, so far nobody has seen another, Shailendra Bhandare pointed out that what you see above 'Nim' is not a '4', it is a diphthong sign from the word 'Shahee' above it. & the other 'blob' is probably an ornament
Vic

saro

Thank you very much for these informations, that was really quick with FB !  :perfect:

capnbirdseye

Quote from: saro on May 15, 2014, 06:38:29 PM
Thank you very much for these informations, that was really quick with FB !  :perfect:

I've sent you the thread in PM, the Ashmolean museum has one but not seen an example, perhaps he will post it later on
Vic

abhinumis

Well, dam of Kabul mint exists. And I have seen 2 in private collection. One in Gujrat and other in Mumbai. I for my part have Chou tanki and nisfi. Kabul is a scarce mint but won't consider it rare. Rare is something when not more that 10 coins are known. I happen to possess one such mint (Kora). Jalalpur, Koyal are perhaps two other mints I can think of. But the dam posted by Bernard sir is a treat. A very scarce specimen for sure. Thanks!
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Hi all,
Finally got the chau tanki photographed
Ilahi 47, month khurdad. mint Kabul
Dr.Abhishek

capnbirdseye

Quote from: abhinumis on August 28, 2014, 09:09:44 PM
Hi all,
Finally got the chau tanki photographed
Ilahi 47, month khurdad. mint Kabul

Another beauty of rare mint Kabul!
Vic

abhinumis

Thank you Vic,
I hav only a half dam and this chou tanki in my collection!! Thanks for appreciating!
Dr.Abhishek