1871 British Penny

Started by Prosit, November 15, 2012, 03:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

Here is another coin I got recently. 1871 British Penny.  1871 is one of the more challenging dates; at least it was for me.
Dale

paisepagal

I don't know if I have the same date... But I do have the same type. Mine has a blackish look to it though... Whereas yours seems to have a nice mix of shades; the portrait looks very regal !

Prosit

I would grade it "Fine". It is a very nice design when not too heavily worn.  I am attempting to assemble a Penny date run 1797-Present and need 39 more to finish. Should finish that in a couple years maybe.  There are 2-3 that may be show stoppers for me but I want to try for it.

Dale

Quote from: paisepagal on November 15, 2012, 04:02:26 AM
I don't know if I have the same date... But I do have the same type. Mine has a blackish look to it though... Whereas yours seems to have a nice mix of shades; the portrait looks very regal !

FosseWay

Quote from: Prosit on November 15, 2012, 04:13:44 AM
There are 2-3 that may be show stoppers...

1933 and 1954, for example.  >:D

Prosit

Since there appears to be only 7 1933 that one never even made it onto my list in the first place.  1954 didn't either. With numbers that small I don't consider them regular circulation issues. Maybe presentation pieces or clandestine issues.

I was thinking of 1827, 1849, and 1869.

Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on November 15, 2012, 08:27:32 AM
1933 and 1954, for example.  >:D

FosseWay

Not sure about the first two, but 1869 should be reasonably OK to find if you don't mind what condition it's in. Mine cost me £2.50 - the date is clear and the outline of Britannia and the queen's head can be made out, but that's about it. Now Fine and upwards - that's a whole different ballgame.

Prosit

That is good to know, so it is a very possible date.  I take what I can get but do prefer Fine and up. Don't we all  :)
Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on November 15, 2012, 01:53:10 PM
Not sure about the first two, but 1869 should be reasonably OK to find if you don't mind what condition it's in. Mine cost me £2.50 - the date is clear and the outline of Britannia and the queen's head can be made out, but that's about it. Now Fine and upwards - that's a whole different ballgame.

tonyclayton

A copper 1860 will be tricky too.

Prosit

I do have an 1860. In terms of European grading it grades Poor or even less   :o  which is ok by me but unfortunately it is also scratched. Someday I will attempt to chase down a better one. I got it in a trade for ...well for nothing so I am happy with it at this time. My date set "want list" has 27 coins still listed.

I do not have an 1869.

Dale

Quote from: tonyclayton on October 31, 2013, 02:08:59 PM
A copper 1860 will be tricky too.

FosseWay

That's the bronze bun head version, first introduced in 1860. Tony meant the older style larger pure copper penny with Victoria's young head, which was replaced in 1860. Very few were minted in that year.

Prosit

I had forgotten about that.  That one didn't make it onto my want list and never will.
Not enough time and not enough money to do it all.

Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on October 31, 2013, 10:03:06 PM
That's the bronze bun head version, first introduced in 1860. Tony meant the older style larger pure copper penny with Victoria's young head, which was replaced in 1860. Very few were minted in that year.