Farrukhsiyar, Rupee, Mint: Gwalior, AH 1130, RY 7, KM#377.30

Started by asm, March 14, 2011, 06:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

A rupee of Mughal Emperor Farrukhsiyar, minted at Gwalior.

AH 1130, RY 7.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

For the Mughal coins of Gwalior Mint, the coins in the name of Farrukhsiyar have wider flan, as compared to all the other Mughal Rulers. Sometimes, they are just like Nazarana Coins. I will try to uplaod some images of Gwalior coins i.n.o. Farrukhsiyar.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

Abhay,

Thank you for the info on the Gwalior coins. I believe the wider flans also continued during the reign of Muhammad Shah.

Look forward to seeing your coins.

Amit

Abhay

Here are two of my Farrukhsiyar Coins - the first one is AH 1131 RY 8, and the second one is AH 1125, RY Ahad (1).

And Yes, you are right, Amit. Today, when I checked my Mughal Gwalior coins, the coins of Muhammad Shah also have a wide flan.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

Nice coins Abhay. However the 1131 coin is RY 7 and not 8 as mentioned. 1131 / 8 coins (see one here) would have been issued for a very brief period. 1131 saw a succession of rulers from Farrukhsiyar to Muhammad Shah.

Amit

Oesho

Farukhsiyar latest date is indeed AH1131/Ry.8 and covers the period of 10.01.1719 to 18.02.1719.

asm

Thank you Oesho for the information. Since the coins were issued over a period of just 5 weeks, the coins with this date combination would be difficult to come by...

Amit

Rangnath

Nice coins Abhay. Thanks for posting them.
I suppose that coins with ry 8 are difficult to come by. But mints of Farrukhsiyar could have kept producing his rupees long after the date of this death.  Word traveled slowly and sucessions took time to solidify. And the  Sayyid Brothers, the power behind the throne?, possibly cared little for which name was actually on the Rupee. 
richie

Oesho

QuoteI suppose that coins with ry 8 are difficult to come by. But mints of Farrukhsiyar could have kept producing his rupees long after the date of this death.  Word traveled slowly and sucessions took time to solidify. And the  Sayyid Brothers, the power behind the throne?, possibly cared little for which name was actually on the Rupee.
I presume this is a misunderstanding. As soon as a new ruler was installed his name and titles were mentioned in the Friday-prayers and at the same time coins struck in his name. There may be a slight delay in spreading of the news to distant places, but all mint-towns in Northern India would receive the news just within days. Gwalior isn't that distant that the news would take more than two or three days to reach the place from the Imperial seat at Shahjahanabad (Delhi).

Rangnath

Thank you for the information Oesho.  So much for my assumptions!
richie