Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

In 2023, The Royal Mint is going to issue the following commemorative coins:

2 pounds:

- 50 years since the death of writer J.R.R. Tolkien
- 100 years since the Flying Scotsman was built
- 100 years since the death of Edward Jenner, founder of the smallpox vaccine

FosseWay

200th anniversary of the death of Edward Jenner.

Deeman

Jenner's death bicentenary.

Jenner was widely ridiculed. Critics, especially the clergy, claimed it was repulsive and ungodly to inoculate someone with material from a diseased animal. A satirical cartoon of 1802 showed people who had been vaccinated sprouting cow's heads.

Satirical cartoon of Jenner's inoculation.jpg

Jenner coined the word vaccine from the Latin 'vacca' for cow. He observed that from folklore of the countryside, milkmaids who suffered the mild disease of cowpox never contracted smallpox.

Deeman

Flying Scotsman leaving Swanage in 2019 and yours truly in the drivers seat.

'Flying Scotsman' at Swanage.JPG

Yours truly in the drivers seat.JPG 

<k>

Yours truly in the drivers seat-edited.JPG

You look the double of Gordon Honeycombe, the newsreader.  :o
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

Figleaf

Great stuff, Deeman. It took me a while to work out that the picture of the loc shows its right side and the picture of its driver was taken on the left side. Is the lady assisting you a relative?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Deeman

Quote from: Figleaf on July 16, 2022, 06:23:58 PMGreat stuff, Deeman. It took me a while to work out that the picture of the loc shows its right side and the picture of its driver was taken on the left side. Is the lady assisting you a relative?

She is my partner. The second picture was taken at Corfe Castle Station where the loco remained on static display for one week for enthusiast's viewing.

Offa

A set of coins depicting locomotives would be a good idea from the rocket to the pendolino, it could include the city of Truro , mallard and flying Scotsman.
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

eurocoin

To commemorate the 75 years since the start of the Windrush generations, in 2023 the UK will issue a commemorative 50p coin. The coin will depict a man and a woman set against the Union Jack, aswell as the figure 75 and the inscription "Windrush Generations".

eurocoin

The Royal Mint will in 2023 issue a commemorative 50p coin for the 75th anniversary of the NHS.

Alan71

To recap this topic:

£2 coins:
- 50 years since the death of writer J.R.R. Tolkien
- 100 years since the Flying Scotsman was built
- 200 years since the death of Edward Jenner, founder of the smallpox vaccine

50p coins:
- 75 years of the Windrush generation
- 75 years of the NHS

Will all of the above coins be in the annual sets?  They usually contain 13 coins these days, but the above plus a £5 and the eight definitive coins would total 14 coins.

Also the two remaining Harry Potter coins, but they definitely won't be in the annual sets.

Deeman

The proclamation for the NHS anniversary is not yet published, so I don't think it will feature in the annual set.

Alan71

Quote from: Deeman on December 15, 2022, 10:23:35 PMThe proclamation for the NHS anniversary is not yet published, so I don't think it will feature in the annual set.
Makes sense I suppose.  The 50th anniversary one wasn't in sets either, and that was in the days when far fewer commemoratives were issued.

One coin we definitely won't be getting is a 50th anniversary of EEC entry...

Deeman

Proclamation for NHS 50p now published.

Reverse inscription is "NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE 75" surrounded by words describing qualities associated with the NHS.

Also published is affirmation that Albus Dumbledore and Hogwarts School issues will bear Charles' image.