News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Alphabet 10p series 2018

Started by eurocoin, January 27, 2018, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The Royal Mint will this year issue 26 different commemorative 10p coins, each with a different letter of the alphabet. B is for Bond and P for Postbox etc. The coins will be issued in March.

Let the coin hunt begin!  :D

Source: World of Coins Forum.

onecenter

Reminds me of a similar series used in Australia.
Mark

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2018, 08:12:15 PM
The Royal Mint will this year issue 26 different commemorative 10p coins, each with a different letter of the alphabet. B is for Bond and P for Postbox etc. The coins will be issued in March.

Let the coin hunt begin!  :D

Source: World of Coins Forum.
This is a serious post, right?  With the Royal Mint these days, little would surprise me. 😀

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on January 27, 2018, 08:23:36 PM
This is a serious post, right?

It is certainly serious. 26 commemorative 10p coins.

redlock

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2018, 08:28:49 PM
It is certainly serious. 26 commemorative 10p coins.
I think I've heard it all now!  This sounds like a very silly idea for a series.  It's for kids (and young kids at that) so I think I'll pass on it.

Someone in Coin News suggested many years ago that the 10p could be used for portraits of Kings and Queens through the ages.  That wouldn't have been a bad idea.  Anything is better than letters of the alphabet.

I think the Royal Mint have gone past scraping the bottom of the barrel.  They've scraped a giant hole through the bottom.

kena

Can anyone find the entry for this new coin in the The Gazette (https://www.thegazette.co.uk/)?

Alan71

Quote from: kena on January 27, 2018, 08:57:20 PM
Can anyone find the entry for this new coin in the The Gazette (https://www.thegazette.co.uk/)?
That link doesn't seem to work - I get "the page you are looking for can't be found".

This A to Z series... I'm assuming that all the designs used to represent each letter will have British connections.  My mind wondered into what they might do for X and Z.  Z is easier - it appears Zebra crossings are a UK invention (I didn't know that until I just Wikipedia'd it).  And better still, the coin could show the most famous zebra crossing of all - Abbey Road.

X is harder... the two most obvious candidates - X-Ray and xylophone - are not British inventions.

kena

Site is https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

My understanding is that all coins should have an entry here with the details when they have been approved.

andyg

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2018, 09:58:57 PM
Just 1 message with your remark will do.

Link doesn't work in the first post so there is no need not to be polite thanks.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

Lets not get offtopic  ;)

The fact that a Bond 10p coin was going to be issued was already known for quite some time after the Mint mistakenly published a product page for it in their webshop. I thought it was already posted on here by me or someone else but apparently not. That the 'Bond' would be the letter B and that it would be part of a series with all 26 letters of the alphabet was not yet known.

andyg

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2018, 10:50:12 PM
The fact that a Bond 10p coin was going to be issued was already known for quite some time after the Mint mistakenly published a product page for it in their webshop. I thought it was already posted on here by me or someone else but apparently not. That the 'Bond' would be the letter B and that it would be part of a series with all 26 letters of the alphabet was not yet known.

It got mixed up with the 1p I think.

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2018, 10:50:12 PM
The fact that a Bond 10p coin was going to be issued was already known for quite some time after the Mint mistakenly published a product page for it in their webshop. I thought it was already posted on here by me or someone else but apparently not.
You did mention it.  I speculated that it was either James Bond or Michael Bond, as it's Paddington Bear's 60th Birthday this year.  If it was the latter (which it clearly now isn't) I wondered why Paddington was only given one 10p coin while Beatrix Potter characters are on an apparently never-ending series of 50p coins.

(Page 1 of this topic)