Shah Jahan: Nazrana Mohurs (2), Akbarabad Mint, AH 1015,AH 1040, Quatrefoil type

Started by mitresh, April 22, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Coin 1

Mughal Empire, Shihab ud-din Muhammad Shah Jahan, Gold Mohur, 10.88g, Akbarabad mint, AH 1052, RY 15, Quatrefoil type

Obverse:
Centre (within Quatrefoil): expression of the Islamic creed/faith
'lā ilāha illā -llāh muḥammadur rasūlu -llāh
There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah

Margins: (name and attributes of the Four 'Rightly Guided' Rashiduns/Caliphs)

bi-sudq Abu Bakr / By the Truth of Abu Bakr
wa 'adl 'Umar / and the Justice of Omar
bi-azram 'Uthman / By the Modesty of Usman
wa 'ilm 'Ali / and the Wisdom of Ali

Reverse:
Centre (within Quatrefoil):
Badshah Ghazi Shah Jahan 1052 / 15
Emperor Fighter of Faith; Lord of the World (Shah Jahan), (dated) AH 1052 RY 15

Margins:
Shihab ud-din / Muhammad Sahib / Qiran Sani / Zarb Akbarabad
(struck by Star of the Faith, Mohd the Second Lord of the Fortunate Conjunction (of Venus & Jupiter) at Akbarabad (Agra).

The Quatrefoil is perfectly centred on both Obv and Rev with the ends of the Quatrefoil forked at the edges. The legends are fully visible on the broad flan. A well struck specimen of a Nazrana (presentation) coin.

Coin 2

Mughal Empire, Shihab ud-din Muhammad Shah Jahan, Gold Mohur, 10.75g, Akbarabad mint, AH 1040, RY 3, Quatrefoil & 4-line type

Akbarabad was a name given to Agra by Shah Jahan in honour of his grandfather Akbar following Shah Jahan's accession to the Mughal throne. This changeover of name happened in RY2/3 of Shah Jahan's reign. The second coin featured above, dated RY 3, in mint condition and fully lustrous, represents probably the first issue of a Mohur from Agra Mint bearing the name 'Akbarabad'.

Both the coins above are highly artistic and represent brilliant calligraphy. The die engraver must have been someone with highly specialized skills entrusted with the important task of designing Nazrana Mohur's for Shah Jahan. The state of preservation indicates the coin was treasured by the recipient and rarely saw the light of the day except on special occasions.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Figleaf

Just because they are so very well struck, I suspect they are a gift or a diplomatic tool (which also explains why they are so wonderfully preserved.) Their purpose is to express the glory of the Mughal and his empire. They do so very well, don't they?

I am reminded of early Roman gold, which was used only for rewards and bribes, but also of US "Indian medals".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mitresh

Quote from: Figleaf on April 22, 2013, 11:08:36 AM

I am reminded of early Roman gold, which was used only for rewards and bribes, but also of US "Indian medals".

Can you post any image of the roman gold? Were the US 'Indian Medals' also used for similar purpose?

Figleaf

Not so late, but still Roman gold, obviously worn, possibly by the chief of a tribe across the limes (border), allied with Rome. Picture borrowed from wildwinds.

Indian peace medals (you can Google the term and see more of them) were generally not gold, but they served a diplomatic purpose anyway: seal a treaty with a visible sign of the alliance. Picture from the US mint site.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mitresh

Thanks Peter. It is well recorded in history that right from the time of the Delhi Sultans down to the Mughals, loyalty changed hands for Gold. The yellow metal was used to shift allegiance, induced for murder, demanded to avoid plunder and sack, distributed to retain loyalty, offered to release/trade prisoners or slaves, gifted to the fair ladies within the harem, and the list goes on.......There is something alluring about this metal that attracts all sorts of folks, collectors included, to it like a magnet.

mj2337702

I found similar one with RY 8.
I am confused because some features and dots do not match to anything I could find on the internet.
Please help.