News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

half dam (1/4 tanka) Urdu Zafar Qarin

Started by saro, July 20, 2012, 10:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Here I think a scarce coin which is absent of most of catalogues, the single image I have ever seen of it is the drawing of Valentine (n°765 p.217); this one is of a similar type "falus Urdu / zafar Qarin Ilahi x8".
Dams UZQ are not scarce (specially those with Ilahi datations), except some types which are never seen, for exemple Valentine n°768 (A.Liddle C42).
Fractions of dams are scarce and only 1/8 appear from time to time. N. Wright catalogued few 1/16 and 1/32 dam (Calcutta museum), unfortunately without any picture, did somebody have ever seen such coins? did 1/4 dam exist?
I'll be really pleased to hear informations from members on this subject.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

A little gem saro !   what's it's weight & size?
Vic

saro

Sorry, I have forgotten characteristics... weight :9,81g / diam.16mm / thickness: 5,5mm
I recently found it from a well known seller but misidentified (Narnol mint)

Figleaf

Your knowledge and ability to read these coins is nothing short of amazing, saro. Now you have used it to turn what seemed a common coin into a treasure. This is a worthy addition to your collection. Thank you for posting this real rarity here and congratulations!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Thank you Peter, I was looking for one for more than 10 years...I am sure that others exist but have not been detected as they look like more common issues;  for smaller denominations, may be 20 years will be necessary  :'(
To be more accurate the legend is "falus-i-urdu..zafar qarin" (zafar is 2/3 off).

Oesho

QuoteDams UZQ are not scarce (specially those with Ilahi datations), except some types which are never seen, for exemple Valentine n°768 (A.Liddle C42).
Fractions of dams are scarce and only 1/8 appear from time to time. N. Wright catalogued few 1/16 and 1/32 dam (Calcutta museum), unfortunately without any picture, did somebody have ever seen such coins? did 1/4 dam exist?
I'll be really pleased to hear informations from members on this subject.

Dear Saro, This is an excellent find. As you remarked, except for the Dam and the occasional damri (1/8 Dam), no other denominations are often around. This nisfi or 1/2 Dam is extremely rare.