UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: redwine on December 25, 2014, 07:48:23 PM
Which reminds me, is there a UK transport token hub I can send unwanted UK transport tokens to as i don't collect them?

Probably me - although I don't actually collect them myself......
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Kushi

The Transport Ticket Society of the UK includes a Ticket Distributions program that has a separate token section.

http://www.transport-ticket.org.uk/

redwine

Thanks for that  ;D but I'll think I'll pass them on to Andy when I find something he wants/needs.......
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Another N.C.B. bus pass added to WoT similar to that in Reply #279 but this time in pale blue.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: Kushi on December 26, 2014, 01:42:04 PM
The Transport Ticket Society of the UK includes a Ticket Distributions program that has a separate token section.

Thank you. I contacted them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

plasticman

A recent addition is this token. The reverse looks just like the Glasgow Tramways 1/2d token but the obverse has G.C.L.R. about which I can find nothing. I thought that L.R. might be Light Railway but no record of such a thing in Glasgow, the only similar reference was to Gloucester Corporation Light Railways, which did exist but I cannot find any reference to tokens.

malj1

The Smiths had anticipated a further volume regarding the railway tokens, unfortunately the elder Smith died and the idea was shelved. Possibly this was held over for that book if indeed they knew of it.

I have found some information on the company [if indeed it is this] but no tokens. = Gloucester Corporation Light Railways: 7 May 1904 to 11 Jan 1933.

Under the Gloucester Corporation Light Railways Order, 1903, electric light railways have been constructed in place of the old horse tramways, and, with extensions within the city, making a total of 7 miles of route and 12 miles of single track. The Corporation have also leased the light railways constructed under the County of Gloucester (Gloucester and Brockworth) Light Railways Order, 1903 (2 miles of route and about 2½ miles of single track), which are run in connection with the city light railways.
Source

This page is under construction. http://www.trackbed.com/companies/g/company_gclr.htm so a return visit is called for.

Image 1 / 2   Tram Ticket,Gloucester Corporation Light Railways, 1 1/2d, Advert: Well-Bred Bread, D Smith, Serial No 0194
Image 2 / 2   Tram Ticket,Gloucester Corporation Light Railways, 1 1/2d, Advert: Well-Bred Bread, D Smith, Serial No 0194
Source

Malcolm

malj1

APPENDIX VII.

Extracts from a typical Order of the " tramway type " made under the Light Railways Act 1896.

GLOUCESTER CORPORATION LIGHT RAILWAYS ORDER 1903.

Order authorising the construction of Light Railways in the City of Gloucester. WHEREAS an application was in November 1899 (hereinafter referred to as " the application of 1899 ") duly made to the Light Railway Commissioners by the City of Gloucester Tramways Company Limited in pursuance of the Light Railways Act 1896 for an Order to authorise the construction of light railways including Railways (No. i) (No. IA) (No. 2) (No. 3) and (No. 4) hereinafter described AND WHEREAS by the Gloucester Tramways Order 1878 and the City of Gloucester Tramways Order 1895 the said Company were authorised to construct and maintain certain tramways AND WHEREAS the light railways by this Order authorised will be partly constructed upon the roads now occupied by the said tramways and will render necessary the removal of the same AND WHEREAS the Mayor Aldermen and Citizens of the City of Gloucester in the County of the City of Gloucester (hereinafter called " the Corporation ") have in pursuance of Section 44 of the Tramways Act 1870 and with the consent of the Board of Trade agreed to purchase the said tramways and it has also been agreed between the said Company and the Corporation that this Order shall be granted to the Corporation AND WHEREAS an application was in May 1902 (hereinafter referred to as " the application of 1902 ") duly made to the Light Railway Commissioners by the Corporation in pursuance of the Light Railways Act 1896 for an Order to authorise the Corporation to construct light railways including the light railways hereinafter described as Railways (No. i) (No. JA) (No. 2) (No. 3) (No. 4) (No. 5) and (No. 6) AND WHEREAS the Corporation for the purpose of affording a more convenient termination of the line have applied for powers to construct the extensions hereinafter described as Railways (No. 2A) and (No. 2B) and have given public notice of the same by advertisement and by deposit of plans AND WHEREAS the Order authorises the Corporation to contract for the working running over and user of certain light railways outside the area of the City and in accordance with section 3 of the said Act if has been proved to the satisfaction of the Board of Trade that such working running over or user of the said light railways by the Corporation is expedient in the interests of the said City and the Board are also of opinion that the expenditure of the Corporation is so limited by this Order as not to exceed such amount as will bear due proportion to the benefit which may be expected to accrue to the said City from the working running over or user of the said light railways NOW we the Light Railway Commissioners being satisfied after local inquiry of the expediency of granting the said application including the said extensions do in pursuance of the Light Railways Act 1896 and by virtue and in exercise of the powers thereby vested in and of every other power Preamble. enabling us in this behalf ORDER as follows: Preliminary.

Short title.

i. This Order may be cited as " The Gloucester Corporation Light Railways Order 1903 " and shall come into force on the date on which it is confirmed by the Board of Trade.

Source
Malcolm

Figleaf

Phew. I have been looking into the rump commonwealth (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa). Problem being that in modern times, "light railway" is a term that covers a very specific mode of transportation that hadn't been invented yet when there were 1½ penny fares. I even found a Gold Coast Light Railway in Australia, but it didn't fit the denomination of the token. Now that the 1903 docs Mal found use the term light railway, I am convinced that the answer is Gloucester, UK.

The term may well be a reflection of the situation. Around 1900, there was a movement to electrify horse tram lines and take over private lines by city corporations. However, there was no provision for electric trams in the law, so each city had to be mandated by a separate act of parliament. This could easily have led to the use of different terminology in different places. In the end, light railway lost and tramway won.

Can we use your picture in "World of Tokens", the bus and tram tokens wiki?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

The act confirmed by the Board of Trade: London Gazette Aug 14 1903 page 5152

Malcolm

plasticman

Excellent research. I can see that a visit to Gloucester is called for !
Yes, very happy to have the images used.

malj1

That could be a big help, see this page

These records are only available by a personal visit to the Gloucestershire Archives.

I have downloaded the images, see how we go.
Malcolm

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on March 09, 2015, 12:06:06 AM
Phew. I have been looking into the rump commonwealth (Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa). Problem being that in modern times, "light railway" is a term that covers a very specific mode of transportation that hadn't been invented yet when there were 1½ penny fares.

I grew up in the village of Kinver, Staffordshire, to which there was, between 1901 and 1930, a rail-borne transport connection from the nearby Black Country. In common parlance this railway was universally known as the tram, but its official name was the Kinver Light Railway. Although it shared the tram tracks at its easterly end it was a private company and separate from the corporation trams in Amblecote. As far as I know the KLR did not issue tokens, but it could easily have done and they could easily have been for threehalfpence.

Figleaf

Today, a light railway is more likely to share train tracks than tram tracks. It may or may not need high platforms, though. An example of train tracks and low platforms is here. The Paris area RER is an example of train tracks and high platforms.

Peter

malj1

One of Melbourne's [Australia] railway lines was taken from the rail network and converted to tram operation in the late 1980's. see more here
Malcolm