UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Southend-on-sea is a serious town near Benfleet, where Norsemen and Saxons once bloodily clobbered each other for control of the mouth of the Thames. Yet, somehow, my brain keeps telling me Walmington-on-sea, where once, the Home Guard and the ARP were bad-mouthing each other for control of the vicar. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

West Bromwich is a former miner's town. Its name will sound familiar to soccer enthusiasts. Here's how the miners got to work, in fruity colours.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: Figleaf on July 16, 2014, 11:45:19 PM
Southend-on-sea is a serious town near Benfleet, where Norsemen and Saxons once bloodily clobbered each other for control of the mouth of the Thames. Yet, somehow, my brain keeps telling me Walmington-on-sea, where once, the Home Guard and the ARP were bad-mouthing each other for control of the vicar. :)

Peter

When I was a schoolboy we knew this as Southend on mud, it is on the Thames estuary, mostly mud rather than sand, you could walk a mile or so out to sea with the water not reaching to you knees, hence the reason for the longest pier in England - 1.34 miles.

this pier has its own railway, see Southend Pier Railway but I am unaware if any tokens were used.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Southport seems to have had some doubts about decimalisation. It simply took the D off the pre-decimal token, but didn't add a P. The pre-decimal tokens are here.

Peter

Figleaf

Wodan's dyke was a simple version of Hadrian's wall. The district existed from 1974 to 1996.

Peter

Figleaf

Here is an exceptional set of school tokens from Barrow-in-Furness. Voice mentions a colour variation of the tuppence, but otherwise, this series is complete. I like the little ink stain on the penny. :)

Peter

Figleaf

The Derby tramways operated 1904-1934.

The tokens in this post are from the collection of malj1. The other side is blank. The brass three-halfpence is 26mm (R5) = 50 to 120 known. Smith 240AB

Malcolm & Peter

Figleaf

The holes are part of the design, not a cancellation. The other side is blank. The round tuppence has nice signs of brockage. For decimal tokens, see this post.

Peter

Figleaf

The aluminium three halfpence are from Malcolm's collection. The size of the denomination on the Derby aluminium halfpence is different. My two can be see together for comparison. first @ 23.9mm second @ 24.2mm

The pink plastic three-halfpenny token was issued for use during WW2. Both sides are the same. It's actually a much darker pink, but my scanner has great problems with this shade.

Malcolm & Peter

Figleaf

Derby Omnibus education and employee tokens.

Peter

Kushi

I recently obtained the following seven tokens that should be added to the WoC UK local transportation tokens index.

Cotswold District Council, 40p, pale green, round, consimilar.
Eastleigh Borough Council, GBP 1, pale violet, round, expiry 31-08-06.
North Avon Disrict Council, 50p, orange, heptagonal, letter N stencil-cut.
Stroud District Council, 50p, orange, heptagonal, letter S stencil-cut.
West Berkshire, 25p, yellow, round, letters WB stencil cut, valid 2009-10.
West Berkshire, 25p, violet, round, letters WB stencil cut, valid 2010-11.
West Berkshire, GBP 1, pale green, round, letters WB stencil cut, valid 2011-12.

Sadly, I'm not proficient at scanning or photographing plastic tokens.

Figleaf

The old arms of Rotherham county borough are a complicated affair. It is not clear where the cannon are coming from. The three deer are a reference to the Arms of the Archbishops of Rotherham. The bridge represents the ancient bridge at Rotherham. It also refers to the Old Southwark Bridge, built by Rotherham iromasters, and the Bailey bridge, invented by a Rotherham man. Mercury's staff with the odd hand on top symbolises commerce. For the tokens with post-1947 arms, see here.

Peter

malj1

the cannon refer to the iron works located in around Rotherham, especially that of Samuel and Aaron Walker.

A large foundry was erected at the Holmes, in which they made almost all kinds of castings, and by 1757, thanks to a contract obtained by Charles Watson-Wentworth, Marquis of Rockingham, large quantities of cannon were being produced for the American War of Independence; mills worked by water wheels, for the turning and boring cannon; forges and mills, not only at the Holmes, but at Thrybergh and Conisbrough.

Walker Cannon

Source for much more detail on this.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Note the word TRANSPORT. For the Tramways series of South Shields and the arms, see this post.

Peter

Figleaf

Stockton-on-Tees is a shipbuilding town. That probably explains the no-nonsense look of this token, that - following local usage - dispenses with the Tees. The C in corporation sticks out a little below the baseline. El-cheapo designer, Stockton? ;)

Peter