News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK local transportation tokens

Started by africancoins, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Southport Corporation Transport 1900-1974

31st December 1934, the last tram ran in Southport [Southport Tramways Company] so around this date I surmise the name changed to Southport Transport. On the 1st April 1974, the transport undertakings of these two municipal operators were absorbed into the Merseyside PTE, and at midnight on the 31st March 1974, Southport Corporation Transport passed into history and almost 75 years of locally controlled municipal services ended.

More here.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

orsk2

Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

Figleaf

Matlock is centrally located in the centre of England. ;) It is built on hills, making motorised transportation popular. From July 1971 to March 1974, the Matlock Urban District Council issued 6 rectangular tokens. Happy to say I got some of them. They are 38 x 25 mm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Quick question to the UK transport token collectors out there: Where do you get these goodies from? Last time I looked on British eBay (admittedly a while ago) the number of transport tokens was very limited. Likewise in the online lists of dealers that I frequent. Conversely, I've got Swedish transport tokens coming out of my ears because they're easily come by on both Tradera (Swedish eBay) and at dealers.

Figleaf

But the good people of Matlock got tired of rectangular tokens. The last two are round. Here is the blue variety.  One day, I'll have the red one too 8)

And sure enough, here it is. Plus a later token (both sides are the same.) I have great friends!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Quote from: FosseWay on March 30, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
Quick question to the UK transport token collectors out there: Where do you get these goodies from? Last time I looked on British eBay (admittedly a while ago) the number of transport tokens was very limited. Likewise in the online lists of dealers that I frequent. Conversely, I've got Swedish transport tokens coming out of my ears because they're easily come by on both Tradera (Swedish eBay) and at dealers.

A search on UK eBay for British transport tokens today reveals 56, at other times there are more; just recently two large collections have been sold on there.
Malcolm

Figleaf

Uptread is a later series of Dundee public transportation tokens, also showing the Dundee arms. These tokens still refer to the Dundee tramways. The halfpenny (23 mm) is noticeably larger than the penny (22 mm).

Added a penny in a different material.

Peter

Figleaf

We already have a thread, complete with coat of arms, on Edinburgh transportation tokens here, but this addition is special. Three different types of 5, D and •, attesting to the enduring usefulness of the tokens as well as how they got lost, so that new tokens had to be ordered from time to time. It was an extra income for the Edinburgh Corporation and now provides joy to collectors.

Peter

Figleaf

For other denominations in the Yorkshire woollen district series see this post.

Penny red (transport) and 1-½ pence pale green (tramways) added

Peter

malj1

This fantastic token is currently on eBay; BRADFORD. CITY TRAMWAYS. signed FATTORINI & SONS reverse BRADFORD. DISTRICT NURSES. ONLY TO BE USED WHEN ON DUTY

Smith & Smith list it at Bradford 115D and suggest it is bronze and 31mm. - the size of an old penny.
Malcolm

malj1

Another that is difficult to identify, bearing only arms and denomination, are the tokens from Blackburn, Lancs.

They show the city arms with ARTE ET LABORE on the ribbon. This type are listed as R4 = 121-600 known.

Edit;
Motto 'ARTE ET LABORE' - By skill and labour.
Granted 14th February 1852, to the former Borough of Blackburn.

The Borough of Blackburn was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Blackburn, the Borough of Darwen, part of the Turton Urban District and the parishes of Yate and Pickup Bank, Eccleshill, Livesey, Pleasington and Tockholes from the Blackburn Rural District.

from... http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/cumbria_palatine_counties.html#blackburn%20bc
Malcolm

malj1

Another Glasgow 2 stage added today. rev. legend nicely spaced - see right-hand token the other is left-hand from above in Epa3054; obv see space between upper and lower legend. I.E. G to T

See here for original discussion.
Malcolm

Kushi

malj1

Part of Epa3054 is the left-hand token.

See the link below the image to this Reply #85
Malcolm

Figleaf

Rotherham is an industrial town in Yorkshire. The text on the ribbon means "thus industry flourishes". I like the way this token has worn, acquiring some smudge in the process that accentuate the lettering.

For Rotherham county borough tokens, see here.

Peter