News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A few questions about 5 Centavos Angola 1927 (KM 66).

Started by Arminius, June 20, 2011, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arminius

Hello,

i have some questions about this beautiful and abundant issue:

Angola, Portuguese colony, 1927 AD.,
5 Centavos (1 Macuta) (15,6 mm / 1,21 g), nickel-bronze, mintage 2.001.999 ,
Obv.: REPUBLICA PORTUGUESA - 1927 / · ANGOLA · // RЄGOUS , laureate, draped female bust (Liberty?) left, wearing cap, engraver´s name on draprey. Diebreak at 9 o´clock.
Rev.: CINCO CENTAVOS // I / * MACUTA * , Portuguese arms, value and denomination above and below. Diebreak at 4.
KM 66 .

There is an incuse script reading like RЄGOUS or RЄCOUS on the bust of the depicted female. So far i did not find infos about the meaning of these letters. Probably the designer´s name?

A laureate Liberty i suppose, as she is wearing a kind of Phrygian cap - or a personification of Angola?.

Was this minted in Lisbon?

maybe someone has some answers.

Thanks

:)

Figleaf

The designers of this coin were Alves do Rego and José Simões de Almeida. They signed the coin REGO JS.

I am not sure, but strongly suspect that they were minted in the Casa da Moeda in Lisbon. Some Angolan coins were minted in Brazil, though.

Liberty, not Angola. A similar design was used on the 50 centavos 1927-1968 and the escudo 1927-1968 of the home country.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

lusomosa

What Peter mentions is correct, I'll try to find out about the minting place.

LP

Destrans

Nice coin  ;D

Allegorical representation of the Portuguese Republic, craved by Alves do Rego.
Minted in Lisbon.
Law Decree: Decreto nº 12124 de 14.08.1926

Regrats

africancoins

To me the "REGO..." seems to be "REGO GR".

There is no "JS".

The coins of Portugal such as the old Copper-Nickel 1 Escudo have this "REGO GR" incuse AND they have "SIMÕES" in raised lettering on the same side and not too far away. So the letters after "REGO" cannot be to do with Simões.

Perhaps the "GR" (or whatever it is) after "REGO" is some abbreviation for a Portuguese word for engraver or designer. That would be similar to how on Italian coins you can sometimes see "INC." after a designer/engraver name.

Perhaps Simões did the coat of arms design for the Copper-Nickel 1 Escudo but for some reason the idea of a name in tiny lettering on that side was dis-liked.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

The "REGO GR" means Gravador: Alves do Rego.

[Gravador = engraver]

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Arminius

Thanks - i think every question is answered now sufficiently.

:)