Afghanistan, Falus of Kabul / "Raij" in ornament

Started by saro, October 30, 2017, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

5,8g / no date; the mintname is uncluded in a sophisticated scrpit (unreadable  ???)
I notice "5 or 50" at left of "Raij"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

The right picture reminded me of the Acheh kepings against a background of three upside down drop-shaped ornaments. Oesho translates the text on the Acheh kepings as Sultan/Abd/Allah.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Very unusual type, at first glance it reminded me of a bird !
Vic

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on November 07, 2017, 04:39:11 PM
The right picture reminded me of the Acheh kepings against a background of three upside down drop-shaped ornaments. Oesho translates the text on the Acheh kepings as Sultan/Abd/Allah.
The writing of the tin pitis of Aceh is so "stylised" (not to say degenerated..) that these coins are quite unreadable ... on your example, "Allah"(of 'abdallah ?) in lower line is the only thing which could be read, it seems....
On my afghan coin, the problem is that the flan is too small to give full parts of the stylised script in which (at least) the words "falus" & "Kabul" are combinated.

saro

Quote from: capnbirdseye on November 07, 2017, 06:17:55 PM
Very unusual type, at first glance it reminded me of a bird !
This ornament, seen sometimes on arabic or persian coins, is said to be a rosebud... not a bird  ;)

Figleaf

I think the outline around 5 and Raij is a stylised pomegranate, an often used fertility symbol in Central Asia. It fits well with Afghanistan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on November 07, 2017, 06:47:18 PM
I think the outline around 5 and Raij is a stylised pomegranate, an often used fertility symbol in Central Asia. It fits well with Afghanistan.
S.Album called it "rosebud" for a similar coin ?
I join 2 pictures of ornamental cartouches found on a Kashan counterstamp and on a 1/2 rupee of Dost Muhammad .
For me the 1st one is close to the "raij rosebud" and the 2nd is clearly a pomegranate.

saro

Quote from: saro on November 07, 2017, 06:24:52 PM
the problem is that the flan is too small to give full parts of the stylised script in which (at least) the words "falus" & "Kabul" are combinated.

It seems that the stylised legend gives  "zarb falus Kabul"

Figleaf

aws22

Dear Saro, I agree with Peter that the outline around 5 and Raij is a stylized pomegranate Calyx.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

I discover that this coin is listed by Valentine in the"doubtful persian or afghan mints" section : n°171  p.155 with the description : "Tughra or monogram / raij- current "

NB : the small "5" at left of "raij" is well present on his drawing but not taken in account

Pellinore

Quote from: saro on November 08, 2017, 11:47:45 AM
It seems that the stylised legend gives  "zarb falus Kabul"

Thanks a lot for this useful analysis!
— Paul

saro