Qajar, Muhammad Hasan Khan, 1172 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi),Qazvin mint (1163-1172)

Started by aws22, November 08, 2017, 11:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Qajar, Muhammad Hasan Khan, 1172 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi), Qazvin mint (1163-1172 AH)
Weight 4.45 gm
Diameter 20 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: in Farsi reads " یا علی ابن موسی الرضا ضرب قزوین ", Ya 'Ali Ibn-e Musa al-Reza, zarb Qazvin. The date is " 1172 ۱۱۷۲ ", part of the date is "117 ۱۱۷ " is at 8 O'clock and the forth digit " 2 ۲ " are at 4 O'clock.
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) "لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله", La illah l'Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, 'Ali Wali Allah, meaning, " no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God ".
Even though Muhammad Hassan Khan never became a king, he minted coins during his lifetime. Mazandaran mint is the most common (still scarce), but his coins from Rasht, Isfahan, Tabriz, Kashan, Qumm and Qazvin are among rare to very rare for his coins.
Qazvin is a very rare mint.

Maythem

Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro, yes you are right, it is a 6 followed by zero " 60 ۶۰ ", the zero is very close to the 6. So the date in this case is 1160 AH and what look like a " 7 ۷ " could be a diacritic. Therefore this coin belongs to Adil Shah or ('Ali Shah Afshar), (1160-1161 AH).

Maythem

saro

Thank you Maythem for the enlarged picture of the bottom of your coin.
The date seems to me to be read "117x" with a last digit  really puzzling which could be 2, 3 or 6  ???
This coin could have been struck at time of Muhammad Hasan Khan Qajar ? in this case 1172 may fit ?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

aws22

Thank you Saro for your great effort on this coin, that explains why there is a " 7 ۷ ", and the date " 1172 ۱۱۷۲ " is justified. For such coin Mazandaran mint is the most common (still scarce), but for coins minted in  Rasht, Isfahan, Tabriz , Kashan, Qumm and Qazvin are among rare to very rare.

Maythem