News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Jahangir,AE Dam, mint identification help

Started by capnbirdseye, June 04, 2013, 09:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

I think I can read Jahangir on the Rev but not sure if any hint of the mint is visible?

20.10g
Vic

Ansari

Quote from: capnbirdseye on June 04, 2013, 09:15:52 PM
but not sure if any hint of the mint is visible?

20.10g

Yes on the bottom of other side, I think Bairat.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Ansari on June 05, 2013, 06:44:21 AM
Yes on the bottom of other side, I think Bairat.

Another Bairata to add to my Bairata collection  :'(
Vic

asm

Quote from: capnbirdseye on June 05, 2013, 10:28:12 AM
Another Bairata to add to my Bairata collection  :'(
I lost count of the number of Bairat's, Narnol's etc that I have in my collection. However, the question that keeps bugging me is: why only these two or three mints of the many others mass produced coins. Why not the others.......Singhana, Udaipur.........and there are a few others in the same belt......

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

A map of contemporary copper mines may provide at least part of an answer.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on June 05, 2013, 02:11:49 PM
A map of contemporary copper mines may provide at least part of an answer.

Peter,
All the mints I named are in the same Copper producing belt in what is current day North Rajasthan.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Copper ore is inefficient to transport. If heat is not too expensive, copper is therefore refined near the mines. There is a case for striking the coins immediately (using residual heat for striking, re-melting copper left over after cutting out coin dies, availability of skilled copper workers, sharing security).

You will see a similar setup in other countries. One spectacular example is the Siberian mines and copper minting facilities.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.