News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Shah Jahan's Dam??

Started by Ansari, June 04, 2013, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansari

On trying hard I can read Shah Jahan on the obv, while reverse is very hard to decipher. Top line appears to be Shah Jaha(nabad?)

Weight 19.33 grams

Please help me further.

saro

We have "Shah Jahan-i " on obverse (left picture) and on reverse it seems that the mint is well "Shahjahana(bad).."

"Delhi" as mintname is  known for copper coins of Shah Jahan I (and are not common); "Shahjahanabad" also exists and are very scarce I think...
It's the 1st time I see one....Congratulations to you to have detected it !
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

asm

Quote from: saro on June 05, 2013, 09:51:44 AM
We have "Shah Jahan-i " on obverse (left picture)
Dear Saro,
Please help me read Shah Jahan - i. I can see Sh-A-Ha on the top and some letter which to me does not look very much like Jah...

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Ansari

After cleaning a bit, I can go further and drawn over the coin.

Ansari

Quote from: saro on June 05, 2013, 09:51:44 AM
We have "Shah Jahan-i " on obverse (left picture) and on reverse it seems that the mint is well "Shahjahana(bad).."

"Delhi" as mintname is  known for copper coins of Shah Jahan I (and are not common); "Shahjahanabad" also exists and are very scarce I think...
It's the 1st time I see one....Congratulations to you to have detected it !

Thank you :)

saro

Nice sketch Tariq ! it's what I see on the left picture; not sure for the reverse : that should be :"Shahjahan(abad"  and not "Shah Jaha ni" which is to read on obverse ...

Dear Amit, the "i" of "Jaha-ni" is the horizontal separating line / up/down we have :" Shah / ni / Jaha"
Such legend is known for damri of Shah Jahan for Delhi and Akbarabad mints (Lahore museum), with a regnal year at right of "Jaha"; I'm not able to see if it's the case on this dam  ???

Ansari

Quote from: saro on June 05, 2013, 06:11:33 PM
Nice sketch Tariq ! it's what I see on the left picture; not sure for the reverse : that should be :"Shahjahan(abad"  and not "Shah Jaha ni" which is to read on obverse ...

Well I am not sure about "ni" but other words drawn are clear after cleaning.

Quite possible what I have drawn as "ni" is infact part of "abad".

Is this type illustrated in any catalog??

saro

The only illustration I have found is Valentine n°38, a coin of Akbarbad (dam?) with a similar obverse ("Shah Jahani") as your coin.

asm

Thanks Ansari and Saro. I can now see the Obverse has Shah /ni / Jaha......... but I can see some thing to the left of the Shah.......and it does not look like an ornamentation.

Also, the revers should have the Zarb Falus date and mint.......If the mint is there (even if partially), where is the space for the date and the Zarb?

Amit (Just trying these arguments to learn how to read the coin).
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"