Ethiopia - new issue

Started by Figleaf, September 05, 2010, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

National Bank of Ethiopia to release a 1 birr Coin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpAbiZooCA

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Picture of the coin can be found here  Seems it will be another bi-metallic.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Prosit

In general I am not a fan of bimetallic coins but that one looks interesting.
Dale

Quote from: andyg on September 07, 2010, 12:16:39 AM

Picture of the coin can be found here  Seems it will be another bi-metallic.

andyg

Quote from: E.M.U. on September 08, 2010, 04:17:54 PM
Is this a Royal Canadian Mint Issue? Those scales look similar to a reverse design on the Ghana circulation coins. KWIM?

I thought that, it also looks to be their special plated/layered steel composition too.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Afrasi

Shall be released on the 11th of September.  >:( >:( >:(

One day earlier a friend has a stop over at Addis ...  :'(

Afrasi

Got it yesterday as a gift. A picture without link is always better, as links often don't work after some time.

Bimat

Very cool coin! :) What's the diameter and weight?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Afrasi

1 Birr
EE 2002 written in three letters (20 x 100 + 2), which is AD 2010
Münzstätte Ottawa (?)
Bimetall: steel / brass-plated steel, 6.78 g
27,0 mm, edge with reeded and plain segments

See also:
http://www.numismatik-cafe.at/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1041&image_id=7016

For Ethiopian coins you may look always at my gallery here:
http://www.numismatik-cafe.at/gallery/album.php?album_id=894

Figleaf

I am not sure it's meant that way, but the scales remind me of the East India Company coins with Adil and the scales. I presume they would have circulated in the horn.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Gerhard Schön

Quote from: Figleaf on October 29, 2010, 08:54:55 PMI am not sure it's meant that way, but the scales remind me of the East India Company coins with Adil and the scales. I presume they would have circulated in the horn.
When I first saw the picture of the Ethiopia 1 Birr 2010 (S#71), it reminded me of the Ghana 1 Cedi 2007 (S#41) which was produced at the same mint.
Gerhard

Figleaf

What are you doing expanding my want list and tickling my laugh muscles like that? Now I will have to chase both pieces.

:) :) :)

Peter

translateltd

Quote from: Gerhard Schön on October 30, 2010, 12:23:15 AM
When I first saw the picture of the Ethiopia 1 Birr 2010 (S#71), it reminded me of the Ghana 1 Cedi 2007 (S#41) which was produced at the same mint.
Gerhard

If they're being struck in Canada, are they using left-over blanks for Canadian $2 coins?  They have edges with alternating reeded and plain segments, too.

Gerhard Schön

Quote from: translateltd on October 30, 2010, 01:25:31 AM
If they're being struck in Canada, are they using left-over blanks for Canadian $2 coins? They have edges with alternating reeded and plain segments, too.

Right, but the Toonies have a diameter of 28 millimetres and standard weight of 7.3 grams.

Gerhard

Bimat

1 Ethiopian Birr= USD .0608 or INR 2.69631

So introduction of a bimetallic for such a low value coin doesn't sound very logical..

Quote from: Figleaf on October 30, 2010, 01:03:21 AM
What are you doing expanding my want list and tickling my laugh muscles like that? Now I will have to chase both pieces.

:) :) :)

Same here, two more coins added to want-list ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Afrasi

I can spare one of my Ethiopian one-Birr-pieces. The first one , who asks me, will get it free.

The piece has a new owner! He is a Dutchman running a coin forum ... 8)