Discussion: Mint mark on 5 rupees 1996

Started by Rasmus, February 22, 2010, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasmus

I have 5 rupee 1996 coin and i have problem to identify from what mint it is.
Is this coin from Bombay or Noida mint?

Thanks

Bimat

It looks like a flattened dot,so most probably it's from Noida mint,I think.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Rasmus

But, is it normal, that in SCWC there isn't such coin from Noida before 2002?
Not in 154.1 or 154.2 list.

Bimat

This is KM# 154.1,but with small error.This is not a variety.So need not to be listed in catalog... 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Rasmus

There is B, C , H and empty mintmarks listed in my 2010 catalog.
So N listed in any years, also what is difference in C and empty mintmark?

I have also 5 rupees 2000 coin with clear diamond (B) mintmark, so I need to know should I keep both or can I put one in trading list :)

Bimat

My old edition (2007!) lists all the four mints (B,C,H and N) for 1996,under KM# 154.1 Catalog uses (C) for Calcutta(no mint mark),C for Ottawa,which is bit confusing.

Quote from: Rasmus on February 22, 2010, 06:29:46 PM
I have also 5 rupees 2000 coin with clear diamond (B) mintmark, so I need to know should I keep both or can I put one in trading list :)
This raises an interesting question-Catalog lists 2000 (Bombay) coin as KM# 154.1 and also as KM# 154.4 So what's the difference between two?

Aditya

Rasmus

Well, indeed N is listed on my old 2008 catalog, but not anymore in 2010.

According 2010 catalog KM# 154.4 is only with B mintmark

Copper-Nickel, 23 mm. Obv: Asoka lion pedestal as seen on 2
Rupees, KM#121.5 Rev: Denomination flanked by flowers

but no picture at KM# 121.5 2 rupees coins :( so no idea.

africancoins

Some of the mint designations have been omitted in SCWC2010 not only for 5 Rupees KM-154.1, but also, in a similar way, for 1 Rupee KM-92.2 from around a similar time. It would be interesting to know WHY these things are allowed to happen with the listings. These listings in SCWC2010 are wrong.

As for the KM-154.4 which is said to have ""Asoka lion pedestal as seen on 2 Rupees, KM#121.5"" - well the pedestal (the whole item - three visible lions etc..) on KM-121.5 is as per 2 Rupees Obverse Type C....  the obverse types are detailed at the start of the 2 Rupees section - but without an image particular to Obverse Type C (an image for this would have been useful and I think it was included previously). So to see a 2 Rupees with "Obverse Type C" have a look in SCWC2010 (and likely other editions) at the image for 2 Rupees KM-128.1

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

mumbapuri

Quote from: Rasmus on February 22, 2010, 06:29:46 PM

that depends on how often or easily you can get your hands on circulating indian coins and how much value you perceive them to have. IMHO keep both:
whether a trade is really required,
what lion-head type is this? I would guess bombay mint would be with ears. though i think both varities do exist.
whether u collect indian coins by type for each year/mint and
also since Cu-Ni is on its way out of the indian coins...

I have started to accumulate all the Cu-Ni coins i find daily and it is becoming less common (not rare or scarce as of now but) with steel coming in circulation. Btw the early 90s (92-95) are a bit more harder to come by in circulation. Anyone agrees or disagrees?

Kid Romeo

Quote from: mumbapuri on February 23, 2010, 09:40:11 AM
I have started to accumulate all the Cu-Ni coins i find daily and it is becoming less common (not rare or scarce as of now but) with steel coming in circulation. Btw the early 90s (92-95) are a bit more harder to come by in circulation. Anyone agrees or disagrees?

In my part its the 2007-08 steel coins that are scarce. I have kept 2 mint sacks of both these years as reserve. The Cu-Ni coins (including 92-95) are as common as traffic jams. I only hoard them if I find the grade XF or better.

Kid Romeo

Quote from: africancoins on February 22, 2010, 09:17:14 PM
Some of the mint designations have been omitted in SCWC2010 not only for 5 Rupees KM-154.1, but also, in a similar way, for 1 Rupee KM-92.2 from around a similar time. It would be interesting to know WHY these things are allowed to happen with the listings. These listings in SCWC2010 are wrong.

For some strange reason the Noida mint's (N) symbol is omitted from the KM catalogs of late. You'll find that the dates in the catalog since 1988 without any mint's symbol can be taken as Noida mint coins. I have notified George Cuhaj of Krause publications about this error along with other listing errors and he told me that he would look into the matter. Lets see. ::)

MS

For the past few weeks I received almost no 5 Rupee coins in change. Instead tattered 5 rupee notes were given out. The FSS 2007-08 coins have all but disappeared.

While there may be a traffic jam in Assam, here in Bangalore, its a ghost town. Haven't seen 92-95 in a long long long time. Most common 5R is 2000 MMD, a few months back you could get them in AU/UNC condition.

Bimat

My experience is almost similar.The Cu-Ni coins are not rare,but the foreign struck (MMD,Moscow) coins are not generally seen in circulation unlike B'lore.About 95% of the 5 Rs coins I get are Cu-Ni,rest are steel and very rarely nickel brass.And since government has again started issuing 5 Rupees banknotes(after a long gap)the banknotes might replace coins to some extent..

Aditya

Rasmus

Well, i had collegue who was 1 week in Goa.
And here is result what he bring me there:

1 rupee 5 pcs, 4 old and 1 new hand version steele coins
2 rupees 3 old Cu+Ni version, 1 U cross and 3 hand versions
5 rupees 5 Cu+Ni and 1 brass version
10 rupee 1 2008 bimetallic

what i collect is by type and mintmark, by year is way too much :)

Bimat

Quote from: Rasmus on February 23, 2010, 05:25:30 PM
Well, i had collegue who was 1 week in Goa.
And here is result what he bring me there:

1 rupee 5 pcs, 4 old and 1 new hand version steele coins
2 rupees 3 old Cu+Ni version, 1 U cross and 3 hand versions
5 rupees 5 Cu+Ni and 1 brass version
10 rupee 1 2008 bimetallic

what i collect is by type and mintmark, by year is way too much :)

That's a nice variety of coins he got.I have NEVER seen cross 1 Rupee coins in Mumbai :'( In fact the cross 2 rupees coins are also not so common,the new 'hand' coins have replaced them..and the bimetallic tenner is almost impossible to find in change..

And I agree with Rasmus,collecting Indian coins both by date and mint is sort of headache.When you think that my collection is complete,a new variety turns up.. ::)

Aditya