News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

BARODA FAKE RUPEE VS 1955

Started by MORGENSTERNN, April 15, 2024, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORGENSTERNN

Hello
I received today a well counterfeit BARODA rupee VS 1955
Strike is very similar to the pictured Numista coin (same year) see here
Weight of that coin is less than 10 grams and it is not magnetic see pictures below

MORGENSTERNN

more pictures

Figleaf

A well-made fake. In addition to an incorrect weight, the diameter is off also. This is significant as the coin is clearly struck in a collar, most probably in Birmingham, so the chances of a diameter that is too large are virtually nil, except for a (Chinese?) fake. I hope you can still get your money back.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

krishna

thanks for the post, can you pls let us know, from where did you get it??

capnbirdseye

I'm surprised they faked a Rupee as it's the 1/2 Rupee's that are rare to find, I bid for the first one I'd ever seen for sale some time ago and I came nowhere near as it went for £1,950  :o
Vic

Manzikert

That's interesting cap'n: do you remember what year it was?

I have the rupee (VS 1949), half (1951, below, 5.69 gm, 22.4 mm), and two 2 annas (1949 and 1952), so I'm still looking for a quarter rupee.

Alan

asm

The Rupee and the 2 Anna are most easy to find in this series.The quarter Rupees are also regularly offered. However the Half rupees are the most difficult to find.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Manzikert on April 17, 2024, 10:48:47 PMThat's interesting cap'n: do you remember what year it was?

I have the rupee (VS 1949), half (1951, below, 5.69 gm, 22.4 mm), and two 2 annas (1949 and 1952), so I'm still looking for a quarter rupee.

Alan

It was probably VS1948/9 as this is the rarest type, I have all but the 1/2 Rupee, among my collection of both  small & large flan types.

Here is an old thread where Oesho tells us why there are different sizes

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,11557.msg77998.html#msg77998
Vic

Manzikert

Thank you very much. I have saved that link to the relevant records on my database.

Alan

MORGENSTERNN

Quote from: Figleaf on April 15, 2024, 10:04:25 PMI hope you can still get your money back.
Thank you Peter the coin is on the way back
Quote from: krishna on April 17, 2024, 01:38:19 PMthanks for the post, can you pls let us know, from where did you get it??
That "coin" came from Ebay and was sold by an english seller ID treasury123
Picture was ugly with no weight and coin was not identified

krishna

Quote from: MORGENSTERNN on April 21, 2024, 06:25:05 PMThank you Peter the coin is on the way backThat "coin" came from Ebay and was sold by an english seller ID treasury123
Picture was ugly with no weight and coin was not identified

Glad to know that its on the way back
thanks for sharing the source!!