Sasanian or something else? Sasanian Kavad 1 Contemporary Counterfiet

Started by Amit Kher, February 02, 2023, 05:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amit Kher

the seller is claiming this coin to be of Sasanian Empire but i'm doubtful

can someone pls help?

weight mentioned is 4.1 gm, other dimensions not provided, neither image of the reverse, though i've requested; will update if response received (added"

tia

Amit Kher

the Fire Alter on the reverse does connect it to the Sassanian coins but can't find anything resembling the Obverse so even more confused 😐

parimal

From the style of the coin, I think it could be coin of Kavad I
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." ― Isaac Asimov
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis

Figleaf

Is there a counterstamp with Arabic writing on the face, perhaps?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

As parimal says, it appears to be a coin of Kavad I, though a very sloppily engraved one, possibly a contemporary counterfeit. The mint is AS, but again rather poorly engraved.

The metal appears to be good, and the weight at 4.1 gm is correct. All the elements of the design appear to be there (eg star behind the bust, the twisted cords to the tassels above the crown and the crescent at the front of the crown), so I would go for contemporary counterfeit.

Kavad was deposed in 496 and escaped to the Hephthalites, returning in 498 with an Hephthalite army (and wife) who put him back on the throne. Could this be an issue from this turbulent period? Unfortunately I can't make any sense out of the part of the date that is visible on the left. This is a Type I coin, but this continued to at least year 25 of his reign

Alan

Amit Kher

Quote from: parimal on February 02, 2023, 07:50:26 PMFrom the style of the coin, I think it could be coin of Kavad I

Thanks Parimal

Amit Kher

Thanks Alan for the very detailed information