News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kalachuris of Ratnapur: Ratna Deva III (1181-1182) AR Pana (Singh Type III-B)

Started by Quant.Geek, January 21, 2015, 06:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quant.Geek

Kalachuris of Ratnapur: Ratna Deva III (1181-1182) AR Pana (Singh Type III-B)

Obv: Goddess Lakshmi seated facing
Rev: Devanagari legend Ratna/Deva in two lines

This tiny coin has a lot of character.  Too bad for the small crack, but nonetheless, a sweet looking coin  :)

Reference:

Singh, K., Classification of Ratna Deva's Silver Coins, Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society, 220, p. 35

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Figleaf

Neat documentation on the other end of your link! This coin shows how variant B may have led to variant A. If the coin is struck in such a way that the squarish hairline is largely outside the flan, all that remains is the earrings.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RG

I am adding mine here though I don't know whether same classification is applicable as it looks different slightly..details are given along with scan. Pic. Courtesy to seller. I own the coin now. One of my new arrivals.
Type III Variety A ?

THCoins

Ceratinly looks to be in the same category. I am not familiar with the further categorization of these.
Doesn't closely resemble Dyell 131. But Dyell's illustration is not of sufficient quality to judge with  certainty.

Anthony

Quant.Geek

Did you download the paper?  It goes over each of the classifications and hence should be very trivial to determine the type...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

RG

Quote from: Quant.Geek on September 29, 2017, 02:54:02 PM
Did you download the paper?  It goes over each of the classifications and hence should be very trivial to determine the type...

Yes, downloaded. It is indeed the same type. :) That paper was awesome..