Civic Coppers

Started by Afrasi, October 31, 2016, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afrasi

"123" should be part of the year 123x. Any help with the averse is highly appreciated. Perhaps it is even possible to identify the mint by motive or style?

8.47 g
21.5 mm

saro

A copper coin of Ganja mint, showing a lion in front a palm tree, has been posted in august by Anusin :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,36212.msg229010.html#msg229010

But, even with a similar design, your coin isn't from this mint I think; the mint name is widely off and seems to end by "N" : "Isfahan" may be ?
The date is well 123x .
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Afrasi

Merci beaucoup!

Here is another lion:

24.8 mm
8.65 g

saro

This one hasn't specific mintname but only "raij Iran" and has been struck at time of Nasir al-din Shah Qajar.
(full legend : "falus raij mamalek-e mahruseh Iran" / falus current in the protected lands of Iran)
reverse : lion with sword to left & date at bottom, not visible on your coin (+/- 1283 AH)

Afrasi

Many thanks!

The next on looks similar, but is visible dated on the obverse.

saro

Yes, it is the same coin.
The date is under the lion and is not legible (by me..) it seems ?
(at bottom of the left picture what looks like a "3" is the "sin" of falus)

Afrasi

Something learned again.  :)

The next one looks like trash to me. Shall I throw it away?

saro

Isfahan with very few doubt.

Afrasi

Thank You !

I hope the next piece, a heavy weight, is more readable. On the revers is a bull or something similar ... or a really heavy weight lion. ;-)

20.4 mm
6.6 mm thickness
17.09 g

saro

Quote from: Afrasi on November 02, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
I hope the next piece, a heavy weight, is more readable.
Not really for me  :'(  I hope that somebody could be more successful....I am not able to see something readable else that "falu" of "falus" on this coin

Afrasi

The next Falus shows a date  :D, but i cannot read it properly,  :-[ 1127 ???
I have even problems to decide if it is round (reverse) or hexagonal (obverse).

18.20 g
18.3 - 20.0 mm

saro

This one is clear "Kashan" with lion & sun on reverse. (it seems that a date is at obverse bottom)
This coin is of the same type as your previous one, of which the (crude) "K" of Kashan  is present on left of "falu(s)", and the horns of your bull are probably 2 rays of the sun ?...

Figleaf

Mu guess would be that the date is 1146 ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

To Peter: I saw indeed once such a 4 on a coin from Harar dated 1304, usually they used there the Persian 4, but there exists also at least one piece with a Western Arabic 4. Anyway I cannot see any trace of a 6, as all bars, which are not a 1, would belong to the 4.

To Bernard: Many thanks again! Two more of these will follow, then I will continue with silver coins, before I will come back once to these coppers.

ca 20 mm
4.0 mm thickness
8.68 g

saro

Mazandaran
joined : the lion in a similar posture on a coin of this mint (from Alaedini'sbook)