Bombay Presidency, Paisa of Ahmedabad Mint, AH 1233 RY 12.

Started by asm, September 05, 2010, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oesho

Quotebut modern day it's called Dehli
you mean DELHI

asm

Quote from: capnbirdseye on November 28, 2015, 03:12:46 PM
Well presumably the names origin is from a previous ruler from the Sultanate or Mughal era so would be Ahmad ?
As I mentioned earlier, the name is, in India pronounced as Ahmed (Eh-mad and not as Eh- maad). I am not sure how it is translated in texts as Ahmad. In fact, all the people with a similar sounding name in Iran, Turkey and Egypt that I know, write and pronounce it as Ahmed.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Pabitra

Quote from: Oesho on November 29, 2015, 12:29:03 AM
you mean DELHI

Delhi is English spelling.
Among local people and in Hindi, more often than not, it is spelled as well as pronounced as either 'Dehli' or 'Dilli'

capnbirdseye

Vic

Figleaf

I think the Ahmed/Ahmad thing is a consequence of one the vagaries of the English language, where "man" and "men" are pronounced in what sounds to the foreign ear like virtually the same way. While the obvious way out would be to let the people who live there decide how to spell geographical names, in practice it is the other way around. For all kinds of reasons, or lack thereof, foreigners insist on maligning local names. Some more or less amazing examples:

Köln = Cologne (UK, FR)
Lille = Rijssel (NL)
Lyon = Lyons (UK)
Geertruidenberg = Mont-Sainte-Gertrude (FR)
Wien = Vienna (UK), Vienne (FR), Wenen (NL)
's-Hertogenbosch = Bois-le-duc (FR)
Canterbury = Kantelberg (archaic NL)
Praha = Prague (FR, UK), Praag (NL)

And the worst of all:

Aachen = Aken (NL) Aix-la-Chapelle (EN, FR). As it is close to the German border, it actually needs multi-lingual direction signs in several countries.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

Proper nouns must not change but they do.
Antwerp
Antwerpen ( Flemish )
Anverse ( French)
Antoepia ( Spanish)