News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Discussion: Coin Motifs and a question of taste

Started by @josephjk, August 17, 2012, 03:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@josephjk

It's an unusual design - people hanging by their necks...

Moderator Notes: Split from Original Topic Re: New Commemorative Coins of 150 Years of Kuka Movements

paisepagal

Where has this picture been sourced from? Its morbid to show people who have just been hung !

The Oracle

Quote from: paisepagal on August 17, 2012, 04:54:34 PM
Where has this picture been sourced from? Its morbid to show people who have just been hung !

no coin can release before sanjay ji gives his blessings so nothing to fear for now  ;D

Figleaf

Even more morbid than you think. Possibly, the two figures are Mangal Pandey and Ishwari Prasad. However, the two were executed two weeks apart in 1857 and it is highly improbable that their arms were not restrained.

The gun with the soldiers may well refer to a disgusting traditional Mughal punishment of "blowing off the cannon", (mass) executing prisoners by point blank cannon fire, inflicted on rebelling sepoys by the British army in the course of the war of 1857.

If so, I wonder what the connection is between the Kuka movement and the events portrayed, as Satguru Ram Singh's significance is in his advocacy of non-violent resistance.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Quote from: Figleaf on August 17, 2012, 05:38:51 PM
Even more morbid than you think. Possibly, the two figures are Mangal Pandey and Ishwari Prasad. However, the two were executed two weeks apart in 1857 and it is highly improbable that their arms were not restrained.

Sorry Peter, you are wrong. These two figures are not of Mangal Pandey & Ishwari Prasad.

The gun with the soldiers may well refer to a disgusting traditional Mughal punishment of "blowing off the cannon", (mass) executing prisoners by point blank cannon fire, inflicted on rebelling sepoys by the British army in the course of the war of 1857.

The followers of the Kuka were blown off canon by Britishers.

If so, I wonder what the connection is between the Kuka movement and the events portrayed, as Satguru Ram Singh's significance is in his advocacy of non-violent resistance.

Kuka movement was non violent. The coin depicts violence being inflicted on the followers of Kuka movement by the Britishers.

paisepagal

Peter alluded to the canon policy of the mughals adopted by the EIC. But either ways, this picture is indeed gruesome. There are better ways to convey the sacrifices of the kuka movement. But Sanjay, is this the final design ? I hope not, but something tells me it is ... Sigh !

The Oracle

it really is a nice design the best designed coin of india till date although the depiction might be a lil morbid

paisepagal

I would have preferred it they just showed the noose , with the men standing to the side ... That would have equally conveyed brutality without the inherent explicity of the current motif

The Oracle

Quote from: paisepagal on August 18, 2012, 03:49:25 PM
I would have preferred it they just showed the noose , with the men standing to the side ... That would have equally conveyed brutality without the inherent explicity of the current motif

hmm u dont like history as it happened?

paisepagal

Well war, murder, accidents are covered on the news, but does that mean they show the dead bodies and all the other gruesomeness ? Increasingly print and tv media do show the images... It's an ethical question.. I don't favour it

dheer

Would you have preferred to see Bhagat Singh commemorative with him being hanged or the current one showing him in his legendary hat ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

paisepagal

Quote from: dheer on August 18, 2012, 06:37:05 PM
Would you have preferred to see Bhagat Singh commemorative with him being hanged or the current one showing him in his legendary hat ...

...Or Rajiv Gandhi in bits and pieces

The Oracle

Quote from: dheer on August 18, 2012, 06:37:05 PM

you want to compare a movement with a person?

paisepagal

Quote from: The Oracle on August 18, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
you want to compare a movement with a person?

More succinctly put... Do we want to reduce a movement to how the protagonists were killed ? Anyways , no point My crying over spilt milk now :)

The Oracle

Quote from: paisepagal on August 18, 2012, 07:49:48 PM
More succinctly put... Do we want to reduce a movement to how the protagonists were killed ? Anyways , no point My crying over spilt milk now :)

it shows sacrifice.  the movement cannot be reduced or enhanced by a coin picture :)