News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Soccer on coins

Started by izotz, June 05, 2009, 09:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

izotz

I suppose Spain 1982 soccer world championship should be included here :)

They issued the whole circulating set for this event.

Coinsforever

Recently I  got one coin from Spain with theme as : Soccer/Football

Here are images.....................

KM reference

KM# 818 25 PESETAS
8.5000 g., Copper-Nickel, 26.5 mm. Ruler: Juan Carlos I
Subject: World Cup Soccer Games Obv: Head left Rev: Soccer
ball on net above value Edge: UNA GRANDE LIBRE

Date        Mintage           F     VF     XF  Unc  BU
1980 (80) 35,000,000 — 0.20 0.30 0.60 0.75
1980 (80) Proof — Value1.50
1980 (81) 117,000,000 — 0.20 0.30 0.75 1.00
1980 (82) 100,000,000 — 0.20 0.30 1.00 2.00

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

bart

Soccer on coins: I have a Turkish 100 lira coin commemorating the same event: the World Soccer Championships in Spain 1982. In my opinion it is one of the poorest designed and ugliest coins in my collection. It looks like some kind of token you received by tanking at a Shell tankstation in the seventies...

Bimat

Spain has issued a number of soccer coins..

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2895.msg15736.html#msg15736

And also this one: (Which I do have, thanks izotz!)

Issued after Spain won the FIFA 2010 world cup..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

And here's a Portuguese €2.5 coin issued just before FIFA world cup 2010 started:

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

And if I'm not wrong, the Portugal issued a number of coins with football theme in 2004. Can't find any images right now..

Aditya

Md. Shariful Islam

And this was from Bangladesh commemorating 1994 world cup soccer.

Islam

chrisild

Quote from: Bimat on May 31, 2011, 07:32:50 AM
And if I'm not wrong, the Portugal issued a number of coins with football theme in 2004. Can't find any images right now..

Here is one of the Portuguese coins that you mentioned, issued for the Euro 2004 Cup. A little abstract maybe but I like it. :) The coin shows a goalkeeper who holds a caught ball in his hands ...

(Image: muenzen.org - The "as" monogram is not part of the coin design but was added by the site owner.)

Christian

chrisild

Here is one that was also issued in 2004, but this coin is about the 2006 World Cup in Germany: A football orbiting the planet Earth.

(Image: German Numismatic Office)

Christian

chrisild

And in a few days a new one will be issued here. After all, it's World Cup time again. :) Yes, women play football too ...

Note that this image shows the design. The base metal version of the coin, to be issued later this year, will look like this. The silver version will be issued on 9 June, with basically the same design but also say "Silber 625" on the eagle side: http://www.deutsche-sammlermuenzen.de/bmf/art/shop/gedenkmuenzen/2011/frauen_fussball_wm.jpg

Christian

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: chrisild on May 31, 2011, 08:51:02 AM
:) The coin shows a goalkeeper who holds a caught ball in his hands ...

Christian

Ohh. Thanks for the clarification... I thought a black gorilla is holding his belly :P ;D

Islam

bart

I just found another one in my collection: a Jamaican dollar (KM#96), issued to commemorate the 1982 Championship in Spain.

FosseWay

The Spanish 25Pt coin in the first post was one of a set commemorating the 1982 World Cup -- there are 50 céntimos, 1Pt, 5Pt, 50Pt and 100Pt as well:

FosseWay

A UK £2 to commemorate England's hosting of the European Championships in 1996:

... and a Croatian 50 lipa commemorating that country's participation in the same tournament:

izotz

Isle of Man issued a serie of four coins for Spain soccer world championship in 1982.