Comments on "Libya: unadopted designs of 1959"

Started by Figleaf, September 27, 2011, 10:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

1970 Austria 5 Schilling.jpg

Arabs are fond of horses and horse racing.

I wonder if the unnatural hind legs put them off this design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on January 01, 2023, 02:33:14 AMResponse from the Royal Mint Advisory Committee:

The Committee decided not to offer any recommendation regarding the common obverse design. The President's immediate reaction to it was that the inclusion of the crown spoiled what might otherwise have been a truly circular design. It was explained by the Secretary, however, that the crown was an integral part of the Arms of Libya and could not therefore be omitted.

First I found that a little confusing - at that time, Libya was a kingdom, as mentioned in one of the posts. So a "president"? Then I thought, ah, not the head of state but apparently the chair of the committee. ;)

Most of the designs I like. But I wonder whether some of them were, hmm, too Roman. There are some great ancient sites in Libya, notably Leptis Magna, but some might have said that this was the architecture of the occupiers. I could be wrong once again; it just crossed my mind.

eurocoin

It was also my immediate thought that the designs looked too Roman. The president of the RMAC in 1959 was Prince Philip. Remarkable that he wanted to do away with the crown.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on January 01, 2023, 01:24:14 PMThe president of the RMAC in 1959 was Prince Philip. Remarkable that he wanted to do away with the crown.

According to the Royal Mint (UK):

The Duke of Edinburgh served as President of The Royal Mint Advisory Committee (RMAC) from 1952 to 1999.

You see that he had put his duty regarding good design above any thoughts of his own royalty.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on January 01, 2023, 12:47:01 PMMost of the designs I like. But I wonder whether some of them were, hmm, too Roman. There are some great ancient sites in Libya, notably Leptis Magna, but some might have said that this was the architecture of the occupiers. I could be wrong once again; it just crossed my mind.

The Libyan half dinar of 2014 features a mausoleum. Was it Roman?

Quote from: chrisild on January 01, 2023, 12:47:01 PMFirst I found that a little confusing - at that time, Libya was a kingdom, as mentioned in one of the posts. So a "president"? Then I thought, ah, not the head of state but apparently the chair of the committee.

I have added a note to post #2, so that readers now know it was Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the President of the Royal Mint Advisory Committee.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on January 01, 2023, 01:35:29 PMThe Libyan half dinar of 2014 features a mausoleum. Was it Roman?

Yes, that is part of the necropolis of/in Gerisa. FWIW, in my opinion it does of course make sense to depict such buildings or ruins on coins. I just wondered whether that period in Libyan history might have had too much "weight" had the series been minted and issued.

<k>

Parent topic:  Libya: unadopted designs of 1959.

Please post any comments, questions or corrections in this topic here.