News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Nicest coin design of the latter half of the 20th century

Started by RHM22, February 02, 2010, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHM22

Most of us don't think of the latter half of the 20th century when we think of fine coin designs, which gave me the idea for this topic. Of all the coin designs that I really like, only one was minted after 1950, and most of them were minted before 1900. Please post your favorite post-1950 coin here, so that I may see if I am alone in my love of classical designs. You don't have to own the coin. I don't own this coin, but I will buy one if I ever come across it for a low price. It's a 1973 20 drachmai from Greece, and the photo is from the World Coin Gallery.

UK Decimal +

I think that my favourite must be the UK 5/- Crown of 1965, issued as a memorial to Sir Winston Churchill.   The simplicity of the reverse, just a portrait and surname, are all that is needed.

It was much more than the usual commemorative issue as 19,640,000 were produced for circulation.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

RHM22

I don't much care for the design itself, but the simplicity is very refreshing. It's a shame they chose the sort of abstract portrait, though.

translateltd

Apart from the Churchill crown, which has already been mentioned, one of my favourites is the "springbok" reverse of the South African silver rand of 1965-89.  Again a nice, simple design, but somehow effective.  Maybe the horizontal legends make it distinctive, I don't know.

chrisild

Latter half of the previous century, hm? Well, these ones I have always found interesting. ("Always"? Sort of - they are all from the last decade of the 20th century ...)

Slovakia:
2 sk http://www.nbs.sk/sk/bankovky-a-mince/slovenska-mena/obehove-mince/2-sk
5 sk http://www.nbs.sk/sk/bankovky-a-mince/slovenska-mena/obehove-mince/5-sk
10 sk http://www.nbs.sk/sk/bankovky-a-mince/slovenska-mena/obehove-mince/10-sk

Slovenia:
20 stotinov http://www.bsi.si/bankovci-in-kovanci/opis-kovancev.asp?MapaId=447
5 tolarjev http://www.bsi.si/bankovci-in-kovanci/opis-kovancev.asp?MapaId=451
1 tolar http://www.bsi.si/bankovci-in-kovanci/opis-kovancev.asp?MapaId=449

Attached is the image of the 20 stotinov coin. What an unpretentious design. :) And yes, I like both the Greek and the British coin depicted here. Would not be able to single out "the" nicest design either ...

Christian

translateltd

Notice one thing that's common to many of these designs?  Simplicity.  A single design element, not too many words or numbers, and often quite a bit of space left blank. 

One criticism I've seen of NZ coin designer Jim Berry (1967 decimal series, plus various Pacific Island series) is that he seemingly couldn't bear seeing an empty space, and had to fill it with something, leaving many of his designs quite cluttered, despite their otherwise very good quality.

RHM22

I agree with you about the New Zealand designs. I think the Kiwi design would be great, were it not for the leaf behind the bird. Ironically, the absence of design can actually make for a very nice design. I do sometimes like highly detailed designs, but only if they can be struck in the proper (high) relief. The modern U.S. coins have designs that are nice in theory, but are struck in very low relief (as is necessary in our modern society), which makes them look quite ugly, in my opinion.

chrisild

Austrian coin designers apparently have that "horror vacui" too. ;) But that primarily affects the collector coins from Austria; the circulation pieces are not that cluttered. As for US coins, well, one problem IMO is that each and every piece has to have three mottos, plus the denomination in verbose style. (The newer $1 pieces are a little different in those regards, but they are not really circulation coins ...) So when it comes to small coins, there is not much room left for "empty" spaces.

Christian

ciscoins

My favourite design is 2 zlote from Poland.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

translateltd

Quote from: chrisild on February 04, 2010, 01:57:12 PM

Attached is the image of the 20 stotinov coin. What an unpretentious design. :) And yes, I like both the Greek and the British coin depicted here. Would not be able to single out "the" nicest design either ...

Is it my imagination, or is there a much larger "echo" of the owl in the background on this coin (its ear almost touches the T of OTUS).  Or is it a reflection of an owl taking the photograph for you?

Medalstrike

Here are 2 coins its design appeal to me very.

Greece "Pegasus"
5 Drachmai 1973

And I mean this one is a truly royal coin:
United Kingdom "25. Anniversary of the inaugural government of Queen Elizabeth II"
1 Crown 1977

Dietmar
The third side of a medal rests in the eye of the beholder

chrisild

Some light trick (20 stotinov), I suppose. :)

As for the Polish 2 zl coin, what I like about the design is how they played with the "2". But I agree, the ring would look better if it was not that wide.

Another good design IMO was the "Beatrix set" from the Netherlands. Refreshingly different from the "classic" Juliana coin, plus designed as a family so to say.

Christian

RHM22

I really like the 1977 25 new pence as well, Dietmar.

chrisild

OK, OK, I will be the advocatus diaboli then: I don't like it. >:D

The Greek coin is fine, but for me the Crown looks as if somebody had designed one side (QE on horse) and then found out, "uh, wait, I have to do something with the other side too; some ornaments would be OK". Similarly, I like the French sower designs by Roty a lot, but the other side of those pieces ... well.

Christian

ciscoins

Quote from: Rupert on February 04, 2010, 09:58:59 PM
What do you find attractive about this Polish coin, ciscoins? The eagle is nice, but it's spoilt by the ring of the coin being too wide. And the denomination side is mostly in low relief and not very impressive to my eyes. I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I find the Polish circulation coins among the most boring in Europe, along with those of Estonia and Denmark. Poland's special issues are much more competent.

Polish coins were boring before the currency reform 1994. And the present coins are very nice, especially 2 and 5 zlotych. Yes, these proportions are unordinary for modern coins, because most of the other countries make wider centers and smaller rings on their bimetallics. But the proportions of Polish coins are the best to highlight the chastity of style of the obverse side. And the reverse side... I see passion in it, an attempt to break the limits. Small "2" with its large shadow; the lining in two different directions, so the coin is always shining.

And their special issues are too touristy and boring. Just like Russian 10 roubles series.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia