1/12 Ecu KM#166 year help id

Started by carpatic, September 29, 2023, 06:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carpatic

Hi. This 1/12 Ecu, Mintmark "I" - Limoges, which I believe to be KM#166, has been damaged and the last digit of the year is not very well visible. It could be 1650, or maybe 1652, or maybe 1659. Since any of them is pretty rare, it would be relevant to get it right. Which one do you think it is?

FosseWay

I had a look at others I could find. The 1659 example on Numista (N 97221) shows a 9 which is basically a rotated mirror image of the 6. The round bit is smaller I think than the equivalent part on your coin, and also more even. Your digit has a bulge at the top right.

I couldn't find a 1650 example online, but the zero on the 1660 is much bigger, covering the full height of the 1. The extract is taken from here; the picture doesn't show up on that page but it did in a Google search  ???

The 1652 example comes from an eBay sale. I think I see a similar bulge at the top of the 2 as on yours, and the rounding of the digit suggests the base of the circle is higher up than it would be for the 0 of 1660.

So, my tentative conclusion: yours is 1652.

Figleaf

I think the upper end of the 2 is too open. Therefore, I'd say it is 1659. Compare the coin below.

bry_368430.jpg

It's from another mint, but in those days, all dies were made in Paris and provincial mints would only add their local marks.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

carpatic

Thank you!
Following your thoughts, I've searched further and it looks to me that the last digit is more probable to be 9, since the left end goes down more than the 2 would. These pics also resemble mine