Serbia 2 Dinara 1942 struck on 1 Dinar planchet ??

Started by $and€r, September 26, 2023, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$and€r

I think a cherry picked a nice one..
Although not sure if it's indeed struck on a wrong planchet error..
The weight is 3,14 grams on my scale.. (cheap one..)  that should be within the margins..
Please let me know your thoughts..
(Numista: N# 5976 )

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

20230926_153646.jpg

20230926_153709.jpg

Figleaf

Interesting piece. The issue with such a situation is always, did it happen inside the mint or after it left the mint. I am almost convinced it happened within the mint, but I need one more piece of evidence.

First, both coins (1 dinar and 2 dinara) need to have been struck at the same mint, preferably in the same year. Though the year on both coins was probably frozen, that's a pass. Second, weight and size need to be conform those of the smaller coin. Pass again for the weight, but the diameter of your piece is unknown. The official diameter is 20mm.

The diameter is important also in view of a less important question. The coins were obviously struck in a collar. If a coin is struck in a collar that is too small for the die, the question is how they interact. The die may press down part of the collar or the collar may dig a ring into the die. Under the first option, you'd expect to see edge damage, but your coin doesn't show any. Under the second option, the coin could be fractionally smaller as the collar is compressed by the resistance of the die.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

$and€r

Figleaf

I'd say that settles it. Mint error, wrong planchet.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.