Coins of the British Commonwealth - Bikanir.

Started by BC Numismatics, July 22, 2007, 02:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

Some of you will be very pleased to know that I have finally got a coin from the Indian Princely State of Bikanir - a cleaned example of an 1895 1/4 Anna,which depicts Queen Victoria's crowned portrait on the obverse with her title of Empress,& has a very distinctive reverse.

Aidan.

Rangnath

Aidan,
Nice going!
Is the portait of the Queen identical to the one used in a British Indian coin or is it a bit simplified? 
Richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,it looks almost identical to me,considering the fact that the British Indian coins were legal tender in all of the Indian princely states.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Richie,you will be pleased to know that I have bought in a really nice Bikaniri 1892 silver 1 Rupee,which cost me NZ$30.

I am really looking forward to getting photos of my coins up online.

Aidan.

Rangnath

I am pleased to know about your new coin!
I have an great idea Aidan.  In the future, why don't you post a list of your new acquisitions in one post?  You could tittle it "Aidan's New Acquisitions of Asian Coins".  That way, it would be easier for me to keep track of your collection.  When I get the chance, I could add images to your post.  I think that would make it more interesting for others as well.
richie

Rangnath

You'll love the scanner Aidan. Great news.
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,
  You can see my Bikaniri 1/4 Anna in my photo galleries.Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Oesho

Dear Aiden, why you list your Bikaner rupee under Bikanir and the 1/4 anna under Bikaner?
The best is to use one name, viz.: Bikanir, that's also the name engraved on the coins.
The 1/2 pice 1894 and 1/4 anna 1895 were struck at the Calcutta mint. Of the 1/2 pice 500.000 were struck; the mintage of the 1/4 anna was 6,155,544. Metal, diameter and weight are the same as the corresponding Imperial issues.
The last local copper coin struck, prior to the introduction of the treaty coinage in Bikanir, was a 1/2 paisa (5.55 - 5.87 g.) dated VS 1946 (=AD 1889).

BC Numismatics

Jan,
  I do use the common spelling 'Bikanir' for that state's coins.I haven't yet got my Bikaniri silver 1 Rupee scanned.

Aidan.

Oesho

Dear Aidan, when I searched on your website I could only retrieve the rupee under Bikanir and the !/4 anna under Bikaner. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.