Chiloé Island, Chile, rare tokens

Started by Alex Island, October 17, 2020, 09:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

Wery rarely encountered tokens, Chiloé Island - isla de Chiloé

Chiloé Island map

Chiloé Island also known as Greater Island of Chiloé (Isla Grande de Chiloé), is the largest island of the Chiloé Archipelago off the west coast of Chile

The tokens presented below would correspond to an alcohol distillation located in Quellón, Chiloé island. The circulation of these tokens dates from approximately 1930.
The denomination of $ 1 in aluminum is also known (I have not yet been able to find his image)
All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

There is an interesting publication about other rare and unknown coins of Chiloe Island: 
LAS MONEDAS DE CHILOÉ ENTRE COLONIA Y REPÚBLICA -  http://antvwala.blogspot.com/2010/09/las-monedas-de-chiloe-en-tiempos-de-la.html

brandm24

An interesting series of tokens...actually in the case of the triangle pieces, real circulating money. The date is curious if they were issued by the Jesuits because of the time line. It's reasonable to conclude then that either the Franciscians were the issuers or someone else entirely. Any chance that they were official government issue?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

For the first time in all my searches, I see these tokens at auction. Found a missing denomination of 1 peso, now the whole collection. And also the denomination of 5 pesos without a hole: