Indian copper. Needs curating.

Started by gpimper, April 24, 2019, 02:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

Needs more cleaning but looks similar.  Very thick copper.
The Chief...aka Greg

Saikat

Hi Greg,
This is a nice copper. Just to let you know this type of thick copper coins were produced in India starting from Suri SUkltanates (The coin i shown) to about end of Mughal empire. Yours looks like a Mughal empire coin. If you can post a larger  image, we can try to attribute it.
Thanks,
Saikat

gpimper

Saikat,  Thank you for the replay...I've looked it up and agree.  I'll try to post some better pictures.  In your opinion should I try to clean in a bit more?  Greg
The Chief...aka Greg

Saikat

Hi Greg,
I would not clean it. The texts are already coming up. Further attempt may damage it.
Saikat

gpimper

I've over cleaned a few so I will very much take that advise.
The Chief...aka Greg

Saikat

Well I did took a wire brush to a roman copper and the result was not pretty. I put that as learning.
Saikat

Figleaf

A harmless experiment would be to give the coin a week long bath in 100% olive oil (no additions). Wash it in lukewarm, soapy water afterwards. Make "before" and "after" pictures. If you like the effect, repeat in longer baths until you are happy.

I have a collection of terminally polluted modern coins to experiment on. If an experiment goes wrong, I can shrug and trow it out. If it goes well, I have learned something.The point is not the mistake, but learning from it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

A clear close up image would be required, also the weight is very important, my guess is a Takka of Jodhpur
Vic

gpimper

It's 19mm and 17.5 grams...trying new software for the photo compression.  Reverse is rather crusty.
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

Try again, Greg. Make sure the light (preferably early morning or late evening sunlight) brings out the writing. Experiment by turning the coin around, turning around the coin and light diffusion with a sheet of white paper to soften shadows. Your eyes are better than any iPhone screen. Stabilise the phone with a whiskey glass, use no flash.

Take your time and a lot of pictures; it's almost free and discarding is easy. It will help you gain experience making pictures that facilitate identification.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

There is a date on this piece - possibly 964?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

gpimper

Hard to make out but I think you could be correct.  I've had it in distilled water for about a week.  I'll try to take some better pictures after I brush it.  We've another dozen or so that we are trying to figure out.  Very much enjoy your knowledge!
The Chief...aka Greg

Rajagopal

I think the first image has the mint name on top as 'zarb sawai jaipur"..weight also falls in for this..

Figleaf

FWIW, I think you are right, Rajagopal. I propose Jaipur KM 32, year 24 (1782-3).

Peter

gpimper

Thank you all for the help and guidance!  I've a few more but they will better pictures...I've gotten better ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg